seven

"Purple is the last color of the rainbow

"Purple is the last color of the rainbow. Purple means I will trust and love you for a long time."
V

italics = cantonese & mandarin

"This is too much. We're hosting a rehearsal dinner, not feeding an army."Aunt Alix's voiced her opinion as the Young family sat around the table making dumplings.

"Better too many than have people say we're stingy."Eleanor said making her way to her seat in between her husband and daughter.

Evangeline chuckled at her father's sad attempts at making dumplings, knowing that he was actually trying to make an effort in making them perfect just like what Ah Ma taught. Eleanor smiled at the scene before glancing around the table and watch Nick teach Rachel their dumpling technique.

"So, right. You put the baby in bed. You tuck, tuck, tuck. Same on the other side. You give him a kiss goodnight."Rachel smiled softly at the technique feeling warm and welcomed within her time but still intimidated by Eleanor Young and Phillip Young.

"Did your Ah Ma teach you that?"Rachel asked, bringing the attention of everyone sitting at the table to her.

"She did."Nick replied.

Evangeline glanced between her parents, watching as their reactions differ. On one side, her father seemed cautious and guarded but polite towards Rachel. While her mother seemed completely closed off.

"Did you guys all learn when you were kids?"Rachel asked, hoping to make conversation within the family.

"We didn't have a choice."Evangeline said half-jokingly staring at her parents.

"We taught you so you know the blood, sweat, and tears it took to raise and feed you monkeys."Aunt Felicity joked as everyone chuckled at her words.

"Ah Ma says if we don't pass traditions down like this, they'll disappear."Eleanor voiced, ignoring the subtle looks she was receiving from Phillip and Evangeline.

"God forbid, we lose the ancient Chinese tradition of guilting your children."Evangeline said, causing everyone to laugh at her words thinking she was trying to be comedic.

   Eleanor frowned upon her words but ignored it nonetheless. Phillip coughed to avoid the slow tension rising between the mother and daughter.

"It's totally worth it. Mother used to wait for Eva and me after school, with nice baskets of these."Nick said, smiling at Eleanor with adoration also sensing the feud between his sister and mother, hoping to calm it down as well.

"Lucky you."Aunt Alix said, giving the twins a warm smile.

"Hey, I never got after-school dumplings."Astrid questioned her mother, joking that she was hurt by her mother not doing the same for her.