Chapter 42 - Fairy Law

Natsu's POV

As soon as Lucy, Happy and I landed safely at the guild, a giant shining gold magic circle appeared above the Phantom Lord guild. Every one of our guildmates paused their fights against Jose's Shade Troopers to see what the bright light was. I recognised that magic spell. It's Fairy Law.

"What's happening?" Lucy asked as she looked at the magic circle. "It's Fairy Law" I replied then the magic circle began to shrink rapidly. I quickly pulled Lucy and Happy into my cloak to shield their eyes from what's coming next. 'This is going to hurt' I thought as I shut my eyes tightly. When the magic circle hit the centre, an extremely bright light shone across the whole of Magnolia. Instead of impending pain, I was wrapped in a warm light.

"Huh?" I muttered as I opened my eyes. 'The old man doesn't see me as an enemy?' I thought in surprise, noticing the spell wasn't affecting me. Looks like the old man gained more of my respect. "Look, the Shades are disappearing" I heard someone from our guild said and I looked around to see they were right. Fairy Law has the power to harm any person the caster sees as their enemy.

When the blinding light faded away, I let Lucy and Happy out of my cloak and Happy dramatically gasped. "I can finally breathe!" he exaggerated and both Lucy and I rolled our eyes. "It wasn't that bad Happy" Lucy said and then she turned to look up at me. "Thanks for protecting us Natsu" she said with a smile. "You're welcome" I replied, and her smile brightened at my response. 'Cute' I thought and then realised what I just thought. 'Wait, did I just call her cute?' I thought and then shook it off my head. Probably I'm hungry and not thinking straight.

"Woohoo we beat Phantom!" someone cheered and then the rest of our guild cheered along with them except for me. Everyone in the guild was ecstatic over the victory. Some were hugging or high fiving each other. A minute later, we spotted the old man standing on top of the Phantom Lord guild. "We are victorious! But I had very little to do with it. Well done my children!" he said and everyone cheered again.

Later that day, we all stood behind the old man surveying the damage of the guildhall and then he sighed. "They really did a number on our guild" he said with sadness. "Master" Lucy spoke up softly as she stepped up to him. "I'm so sorry" she said sadly while looking down at the floor. "We're sorry too" Gajeel said as he and Juvia stood behind her.

"Oh children, don't blame yourselves for this mess. Not a single person in this guild thinks you are to blame. Phantom Lord may have destroyed our guildhall, but we can always rebuild. Fairy Tail isn't necessarily a place, it's the bond we share as a guild. Though we can't share our feelings of happiness and sadness, we can share them to some extent. That's what happens in a guild. One person's happiness becomes everyone's happiness, one person's anger becomes everyone's anger and one person's tears becomes everyone's tears. So, there's no reason for any of you to feel guilty" the old man said.

Lucy and Juvia began to cry after his speech. Gajeel comforted Juvia with a pat on the back, while I walked over to Lucy. I hate seeing her cry. It's just not like her. As soon as I was in front of her, I pat her head. "Don't cry" I said and then she wipes her eyes, but the tears kept coming. Out of nowhere the old man began to cry but for a different reason.

Suddenly, I heard a large number of footsteps heading our way and saw a group of Rune Knight coming towards up. I immediately stepped in front of Lucy. Everyone else soon noticed them. "We've received a report that there was a battle between Fairy Tail and Phantom Lord. Please cooperate while we investigate the situation" the head Rune Knight said. They started to round up our guildmates and take them somewhere. When a few of the Rune Knights surrounded me, Lucy, and Happy, I glared threateningly and growled at them. They all took a step back in fear except for one.

"Miss, you need to come with us for questioning" the man said as he reached out and then grabbed Lucy's arm. "Ow" she flinched, and I immediately grabbed the man's wrists with my hand engulfed with black chaotic flames. He let out a bloodcurdling scream and pulled his hand back. The other Rune Knight readied their weapons since I attacked their comrade.

"Stand down" the head Rune Knight ordered as he walked up. "Sorry about my men's behaviour. Are you Lucy Heartfilia?" he asked, calmly. "Yes I am" Lucy replied honestly. "Our report clearly states that you, Gajeel Redfox and Juvia Lockser were the reason behind the attack. We especially need to bring you three in for questioning. Would you please come with us?" he stated. "No" I growled but then I felt a hand on my shoulder. "It's ok Natsu, I'll go" she said as I looked at her and then she walked past me to follow the head Rune Knight. I immediately followed closely behind to protect her. Not far behind, Happy followed us.