Chapter 27 - The Search

Natsu's POV

'Argh, why are there so many people!' I grumbled inwardly. "Can you smell her?" Happy asked me as he held me high up above Magnolia. "No" I growled as I looked through the crowds for any signs of Lucy or Laxus and the Thunder Legion. 'Damn you Laxus, where are you hiding Lucy' I thought with a growl as I searched.

"Natsu, look over there! What are they doing?" Happy said and I turned to what he was looking at. Alzack, Jet and Droy were locked in combat and trapped in a box of purple rune letters. I recognised that rune magic, also known as Jutsu Shiki. "It's one of Freed's enchantments" I said and then an explosion happened on the other side of the city. It was Warren and Max fighting. Another explosion happened in another part of the city and this time it was Macao versus Wakaba.

"Why are they fighting each other? Shouldn't they be looking for the girls or fighting Laxus and the Thunder Legion?" Happy asked, confused. I noticed a rune box around each fight and realised their intention. "They want everyone to fight against each other so they can weed out the weaklings" I replied and then thought about how I'm going to find Lucy without landing in one of those traps. If I tried bringing Happy along and we do land on a trap, then I will be forced to fight my best buddy which I would never do.

"Happy drop me on top of that building and don't follow me. Stay with the Old Man" I said as I pointed to the closest building. "Why?" he asked but I didn't have time to explain. If I waste too much time then Lucy might become a pile of dust. "I'll explain when this is all over. Now drop me" I said and he obeyed.

As soon as my foot touched the roof of the building, I sprinted over the roofs and tried to avoid other Fairy Tail members. Who knows where Freed set up his enchantments. As I was jumping between roofs, I spotted Juvia's stone statue in the alleyway across the street. I stopped and hesitated whether I take her back to the guild or keep looking for Lucy. Juvia is Lucy's friend so I can't leave her here. "Oi Chaos!" Gray shouted as he came running up to me from the street. "Have you found any of the girls?" he asked and for once he has perfect timing. "One, in the alleyway. Take her to the guild" I said before running off to continue my search for Lucy. He's probably mad that I ran off, but I don't care. Lucy's life is much more important. Even if Lucy's life wasn't in danger, I would ignore him either way. I hate his guts the most in the whole guild except for right now.

In the distance I noticed Gajeel walking down a semi-quiet street urgently, sniffing around. "Oi Metal Face!" I shouted as I stopped on the roof beside him. He turned his attention up to me with a glare. "Pick up anything?" I asked. As another Dragon Slayer maybe he picked up on a scent. "Nah, there's too many people. Have you found Juvia or Lucy yet?" he asked. So, he's having the same problem as me. "Water Woman is safe" I replied, referring to Juvia and he looked a bit relieved. "That's good. What about Lucy?" he asked, and I growled while looking away. "So she's still taken" he growled with his arms crossed.

"Gajeel! Chaos!" we heard a small voice and turn to see Wendy with her exceed Carla running up to us. "We found Levy inside a shop over there but we're not strong enough to carry her back to the guild" she said, pointing back the way they came. I decided this was the best time to leave. "You go No Eyebrows. I'm leaving" I said and without another word, I bolted off to continue my search. If we stay together for too long, then we're bound to get trapped in one of Freed's enchantments. Weaving around everyone's battles was becoming a pain since I've got a lot of ground to cover. Knowing Laxus, he's going to hide Lucy in the hardest place just to annoy the hell out of me.

It's been an hour and a half into the time limit, and I haven't found Lucy or Laxus. Luckily I haven't landed into a single of Freed's trap which I found a bit strange. I mean, I was careful, but I expected to maybe accidentally land in one by now. Something seems off... Suddenly a bunch of lacrimas with a lightning bolt inside and a strap of metal around them faded into existence high above Magnolia, circling around the whole city. I stopped to stare at them while the crowd discussed what they were from the streets. 'What the heck are those?' I wondered and then suddenly a voice spoke up in my head which I recognised to be Warren.

"Attention everyone! Stop fighting! All the girls are free from their stone prisons but Lucy is still missing. The Thunder Legion have all been defeated but Laxus is still out there. Keep an eye out for him. We believe wherever Laxus is hiding, is where Lucy is also but we have another problem. See those lightning lacrimas circling around Magnolia? That's Laxus' Thunder Palace. If we don't hurry up and stop him, he's going to blow up the whole city! Someone needs to go after Laxus while everyone else destroys those lacrimas in the sky. Who-" "Laxus is mine" I growled, interrupting Warren's telepathy.

"Ah! Ahem...I mean ok" Warren replied, trying to act like no one heard that girly shriek of his. "I trust Natsu to handle Laxus" the old man's voice popped up this time. "Gramps! Are you feeling ok?" Gray asked. Something must've happened to the old man based on the worry in Gray's voice. "I'll be fine. Now all you brats listen! While Natsu deals with Laxus, I want everyone to put their all into destroying those lacrimas. We cannot let our beloved city be destroyed by my foolish grandson. We must protect this city by any means necessary. Are you with me?!" the old man said and everyone in Fairy Tail except for me cheered "yeah!". With that, I kept running to continue my search through Magnolia.

As I passed the Kardia Cathedral, I picked up two specific scents that I was looking for which made me stop and turn to look at the building. "Found you" I growled deeply, glaring at the Kardia Cathedral where Laxus is hiding with Lucy.