Jealousy Trapped 《Part 29》

Mulai dari awal

"I've tried that already. He didn't answer." Kagami sighs. "I can only assume he doesn't want to talk to me." 

"Maybe he's not answering because you're the one calling him," I blurt out. I quickly cover my mouth as I feel heat rising to my cheeks. "Sorry! I didn't mean it like that--"

"No, you're right," Kagami says sadly. "It's just that...if he doesn't want us to be friends anymore, then I want him to be straightforward with me."

"You shouldn't worry so much," I insist, feeling even worse about my outburst. "How about we do something, just the two of us? Maybe it'll take your mind off it." 

Kagami shakes her head. "I appreciate it, but I'm more busy than I seem. I'll see you around Marinette." As a red car pulls up, she waves goodbye and gets in. I sigh as I watch the car drive away. 

When I get home a couple minutes later, I open my purse to find Tikki sleeping like a baby. I carefully pick her up in my palms and place her on a small pillow on my bed. When I make sure she's sleeping softly, I take my phone out just as it vibrates in my hand, making me jump. 

I drop the device in the process and reach to catch it, but once I do, I trip over my own feet and fall face first on the floor. Unfortunately, I'm still a clumsy dork even with magic powers. 

I press my thumb onto the green button, not even checking who called in the first place. 

"Hello?"

"You okay?" Alice's voice says. "It sounds like you're dying." 

"Wow, you're hilarious." I stand up and reposition myself at my desk. "So what's up?"

"Something important, that's what. You know that voice in my head? She's not just a voice. Her name's Meii, and apparently she's a kwami or something."

"Wait, what are you talking about?" 

"She's trapped Mari. The crack in the necklace, why I couldn't control my powers at first. It's because Meii was trying to control them herself. I...I was fighting her this whole time." 

Alice's words can't even sink in before my brain becomes a mess trying to figure it out. Even though I've been Ladybug for a while, I'm no guardian or anything. This is something I've never heard of. 

"Because of Meii, it's harder to use my powers though," Alice continues. "Just trying to use them hurts me." 

"Really? Does it have to do with you passing out?" I ask, remembering the text message I got days ago. 

"Not exactly," Alice says. "She did something, and now I can't take the necklace off. Can kwamis do that?" 

"If they can, I've never heard of it."

"I...kind of feel bad for her," Alice says suddenly. "She's annoying, and she kind of freaks me out. But she's still trapped in a necklace that's slowly breaking. That doesn't sound like an ideal situation, does it?" 

I think back to when I first met Tikki, and I can't help but grimace as I imagine what Alice described. 

"Anyway, that's not why I called," Alice says quickly. "Something is wrong. I don't care if you tell Chat Noir, but I wanted to tell you first. It's not just about my powers this time. I have a bad feeling, but I'm not sure what it's about."

"Don't worry about it. That happens to me all the time," I tell her, trying to hide the concern in my voice.  

The line goes quiet for a second, but I can still hear a quiet mutter from Alice. "Things are a mess right now. I'm surprised you're this chill about it, but it makes me feel better at the same time, you know?"

"It's just part of the job. You get used to it after a while."

"Speaking of a while," Alice starts, not bothering to hide the curious edge in her voice, "you've been fighting akumas for a pretty long time now. What are you and Chat gonna do after you beat Hawkmoth?" 

I open my mouth to answer her question, but my voice catches. I've thought about my life before Hawkmoth and all these akumas, back when I didn't have so many secrets to hide. The only thing that's hovered in my mind is how to beat Hawkmoth in the first place. 

"I don't really know to be honest. Finally getting rid of Hawkmoth would make things a lot less stressful. But I'd still be Ladybug and have my miraculous." 

"Would you still want to be Ladybug?" 

"Of course I would!" I answer quickly, raising an eyebrow at the question. "Things have just been a bit...messy lately. I've already promised myself that I'm gonna keep doing my best until Hawkmoth is defeated and he doesn't have his miraculous. So you shouldn't worry so much." 

Alice sighs. "You're an idiot Mari. A lovable idiot, but still an idiot." 

"I'll take it," I laugh. "By the way, has Adrien talked to you? He hasn't been in class for a few days." 

"The model in him is probably taking a week off," Alice jokes. "I'm sure he's fine."

"Yeah, you're right. Maybe I'm just being weird again."

"Worrying about him isn't a bad thing Mari. It's how you show it. I'll see you in a few days, so don't do anything stupid." 

We hang up at the same time and I notice that I'm still smiling. Why the heck am I smiling?! Alice just told me she could get hurt. Maybe it's the way she handled it. I caught the hesitancy in her voice though. She wanted to tell me something, but she didn't. Was it important, or did she just decide to keep it to herself? 

Still, I expected her to be a lot more worried. I don't know what to do, or what to think. She came to me and told me not to worry, but almost every time someone says not to worry, I worry even more. 

I grab a pillow off of my bed and bury my face into it. I take a breath, and let out a glass-breaking scream. My nails dig into the cotton as my mind runs in circles. I need to breathe, seriously. 

I want to help Alice, or at least try to. But how much can I do for her?

I throw the pillow back onto the bed and sigh, ignoring the burning feeling in my throat. Things can't get any worse, right?