Chapter 66

"You okay, Grimshaw?" Helen rasped. She limped over to where Susan was hiding behind crates and helped her up. "Yah, just about. Those damn Pinkertons - where's Tilly and Abigail?" she asked, dusting off her dress.

"I sent Tilly off with Jack so they were safe, but I saw those bastards grab Abigail," Helen growled, sniffing. She suddenly doubled over in pain, her hand flying to her abdomen.

"Come here, darlin'." Susan sat her down on a crate, lifting her shirt carefully to inspect Helen's wound. "Of all the damn times for those assholes to attack, the entire camp has to be out on a job," Susan hissed, lowering Helen's shirt.

"It's startin' to look infected, sweetheart. I'll try to convince Dutch to take you to a doctor." Helen laughed humourlessly, carefully standing up. "Unless he decides to shoot me instead. The man's gone crazy and you know it," she hissed.

Susan held her hateful stare, and for once the strong woman looked defeated. "I know...." The sound of horse hooves caught the women's attention, and Dutch returned with Micah, Javier, Bill and two unfamiliar men.

"Where's Arthur and Sadie? John?" Susan asked impatiently. Dutch looked both crazed and blank as he approached his tent without looking at the women.

"Arthur and Sadie...went to find Abigail, most likely - and John is dead." What?! No...not John, goddamn it....

~~~~

Never did Helen think she would be holding a gun up to her own gang. Arthur had returned alone and claimed Micah to be the rat, not Molly. Not only that, but John had returned, looking roughed up but very much alive. Dutch lied!

"There's Pinkertons coming!" Javier announced, catching Helen's attention. "No!" A gunshot went off just as Susan leapt in front of Helen. She fell to the ground, dead, and Helen's glare shifted up to Micah. "Oops."

Horse hooves caught everyone's attention now, and suddenly the camp was surrounded by Pinkertons. Helen didn't hesitate to shoot back as she followed John and Arthur through the caves.

"I shoulda pulled the trigger on that snake a long time ago, back at Shady Belle!" Helen yelled, keeping Arthur ahead of her. "Let's go, John!" They emerged into the open air, panting heavily; Helen clutched her abdomen as it throbbed painfully.

The outlaws' horses came racing through the trees, and Helen quickly mounted up. "Abigail's safe...so's Jack," Arthur said, "They're with Sadie at Copperhead Landing." Helen kept her rifle in hand and stood guard, her eyes fluttering.

I can't black out, not when we're so close. Gunshots went off once again, and Helen spotted Dutch and Micah racing for them. "Let's go, boys!"