Chapter 48

"You better watch yourself out there, Charlie, or so help me god," Helen warned sternly. Dutch had returned yesterday with Arthur, Lenny, John and Bill, and announced that Angelo Bronte had been killed.

Now, Dutch was at the head of the group, with Bill, Lenny, John, Micah, Javier, Hosea and Arthur waiting. Charles smiled down at Helen, which made her heart swell at the sight. I think I oughta tell him soon, before I go crazy.

"I'll be fine, I promise," he assured. She followed him to the wagon he was assigned to and looked to her father. "Dad!" she called. He turned to look at her, a smile on his face as she pointed at him.

"You best come back! I'm expectin' you to give me a big ol' bag of cash!" she said. Although her tone was stern, Helen and Hosea shared a smile. "I will, sweetheart." With that, the gang rode out of camp, and Helen walked forward to watch them leave.

They better come back with that money....

~~~~

"Charles, hold up a moment." Hosea approached him once the men stepped down from the wagons. "I want to talk to you real quick." Charles moved away from the back of the wagon, facing Hosea curiously.

He looked nervous and somewhat reluctant to speak, but Charles remained silent as he waited patiently. "I guess...maybe it's just my anxiety talkin' - this is supposed to be our 'grand finale', so to speak," he said with a nervous laugh, then cleared his throat.

What's going on with him? "In...i-in case somethin' happens today...I just need you to promise me somethin'." Charles frowned a little, confused at the request, and Hosea looked at him with pleading eyes. "Watch over Helen for me, Charles...."

His frown melted away into a small jaw drop, and he widened his eyes in both confusion and surprise. "Hosea, why would anything happen? You've been over the plans a dozen times, nothing should go wrong," he reasoned.

"Should, my dear boy, should is the key word. So...if this doesn't go as smoothly as I thought it would...." Hosea looked down sadly, avoiding Charles' gaze.

"Tell Helen that I love her, and...and promise me you'll take care of her. I know you're fond of my daughter already, so it shouldn't be too hard." Charles fearfully looked ready to protest, to deny any indication that he had feelings for Helen, but Hosea gave him a knowing look.

"I'm not blind, son," he said with a smile. "I'm not mad, either. She gravitated towards you the first day she arrived, and I can see why. I know you'll make her happy."