Chapter 39

The gang returned to camp at dawn after successfully killing the Braithwaite family. However, Jack was nowhere to be found in the manor, and it was revealed he was given to one Angelo Bronte.

Strauss had reapplied her bandaged when they returned, and now she was lounging with Charles. He glanced around camp and sighed in boredom. "Such a secluded area for camp and I feel like we'll be on the move again soon," he said, discouraged.

Helen patted his thigh; "Nature of the business, Charlie, but this is a pretty place indeed," she told him. Her hand lingered on his thigh as she glanced around camp casually. She bit her lip when his hand tentatively touched hers, and she turned back to look at him.

His dark eyes held a deep, unreadable look to them as he held Helen's gaze. She suddenly felt her nerves begin to flare up when Charles turned her hand over. He loosely laced their fingers together, all while keeping eye contact, making Helen blush madly.

Can it be...? I don't know many friends who hold hands.... "Hey, Dutch! We got a problem!" Helen was instantly on her feet when Lenny escorted Agent Milton and Agent Ross at gunpoint.

"Not a problem...visitors - a solution. Good day, fine people," Milton corrected, not looking one bit intimidated. Helen walked over with Charles behind her, and she stopped next to Sadie.

"Mr. Van der Linde, Mr....and Ms. Matthews...." Helen tensed when Milton's gaze landed on her. "You gotta lot of nerve, showin' up here alone," she hissed. "I come in peace, Ms. Matthews," he said slowly.

How about I cut you into pieces instead? "And to what do we owe the pleasure, Agent Moron?" Dutch taunted, standing up. "I don't know if you're aware, but this...this is civilized land now. We didn't kill all them savages only to allow the likes of you to act like human dignity and basic decency was outmoded or not yet invented!"

Helen felt Charles tense up beside her, and instinctively she grabbed his hand again. "This thing - it's done." Dutch advanced slowly, his gaze dark and angry. "This place ain't no such thing as 'civilized'. It's man so in love with greed, he has forgotten himself and found only appetites," he hissed, standing between Arthur and Hosea.

"And as a consequence that let's you take what you please, kill whom you please and hang the rest of us? Who made you the messiah to these lost souls you've led so horribly astray?"

Helen glanced up at Charles, seeing the anger in his eyes as he glared at the Pinkertons. Her gaze swept around camp, checking over her companions, until it stopped on Arthur.

His eyes were already on Helen, and they shifted down to her hand still holding Charles'. He quickly looked away, however, when he was caught staring. Oh boy....

"I came to make a deal - it's time! You come with me, and I give the rest of ya three days to run off, disappear and go live like human beings someplace else!" Milton announced.

Helen scoffed openly at that; "The only ones runnin' off will be you two, and that window of opportunity is closin' fast," she spat. Sadie let out a grunt of agreement while Charles took a step forward boldly.

"You came for me? Risked life and limb in this den of lowlifes and murderers so that they might live and love?" Dutch asked. Milton sighed, looking down for a moment; "I don't wanna kill all these folk, Dutch - just you."

Every man in camp stepped closer together, but Dutch walked forward with his hands up. "In that case...it'd be my honour to join you - excuse me, friends, I have an appointment to keep with...." Every gun in camp was then loaded and cocked, making Milton's face pale.

"I think your new friend should leave now, Dutch," Grimshaw announced. Milton took a step back, glancing at everybody; "You're making a big mistake - all of you!" he warned.

Charles' grip tightened on Helen's hand, making her step closer to him. Dutch chuckled rather smugly, his hands on his hips as he stood tall. "Yah - dreadful. We have got something, somethin' to live and die for! How awful for us, Mr. Milton. Stop following us - we'll be gone soon."

Looks like we're moving after all....