34. Sloth in a race

Start from the beginning

So grumbling and complaining, she puts me in the dress and the sits me infront of the dresser, drying my hair before starting to put it in a complicated hairstyle.

“Goddess, we are so late!” Clary says, fussing over makeup

“Calm down,” I chuckle “Luke wouldn’t—

The door slams open, almost breaking off its hinges. Clary jumps away with a squeal of fright, my instinct tells me to reach for my gun but then I realize this is neutral territory and they had taken it.

A tall figure strides in, a squeaking Helda behind him. Luke’s dark blue eyes take in the room with one quick glance before the settle on me.

Something similar to relief cross his face. The next moment, he’s crossed the room, standing only a few steps away from me.

“I told you, Alpha,” Helda squeaks out, trying and failing to look intimidating “She’s getting ready!”

Luke’s eyes stop searching my face for signs of worry or injury and take in my dressing, his eyebrows shoot up to his hairline.

My own eyes take in his attire. Dressed like some old timey Duke, with all the elaborate coats and the frilly dress shirt he looks so, so—

I break in a fit of giggles “You look ridiculous.”

Luke scowls at me, then looks down at his clothes self-consciously.

“I think I look fine,” he says “Handsome, even.”

Still chuckling I close the remaining distance between us. His hair has been brushed neatly back, a single strand of wavy hair is out of place.

Mindlessly, I raise my hand and put it back in place.

“Don’t be so disappointed,” I grin at him “At least you made me laugh for once.”

Clary snickers from her place by the dresser, Luke casts her a quick glare before he turns his gaze to me again. He straightens his posture, features calm and composed.

“I’m waiting in the sitting room down the hall,” he says “Don’t take long.”

With that he turns around and leaves the room.

“My moon,” Helda sighs “That’s one bossy Lycan.”

Cary grins at me as I sit back down in front of the dresser, I raise an eyebrow.

“What?”

“That was quite the entrance he made,” she says, waggling her brows “He seems very worried about your safety.”

“Of course,” I say “We’ve been through a rough time, you never know what to expect on this Hunt.”

“Not that kind of worried, idiot.” She rolls her eyes “Didn’t you notice they way he was looking at you?”

“Like I’m his partner?” I offer

Clary face palms herself “How have you been surviving this Hunt, you dingdong?”

“Hey,” I make a face

“I have to admit,” Helda says, walking over to me with an old timey hand fan “Alpha Winters must really care about you.”

Unbidden, heat rushes to my face along with Luke’s words.

Nothing is going to happen to you, I promise.

I don’t remember much of that night, only muddled words in a haze of pain. But I do remember the look on Luke’s face when I told him I think I’m going to die.

The way he looked at me then is burned in my memory. Like he would drag me back from hell if he has to, but he won’t let me go.

I shake my head “Well, he does. I’ve been bearing him from over a month.”

Finally, I manage to get them off my case and once they’re done with dressing me up as if I’m an actress in a film, Clary points out where the sitting room it.

I open the huge ebony doors, fan held in front of my face like a perfect duchess. My eyes instantly find Luke, standing by the window, the wind lifting his hair.

His dark, stormy gaze snaps to me, I grin widely, feeling too excited for this break of ours. I already like it better than the last.

I gather up my huge puffy dress and walk over to him, only then do I realize there’s a door on the other side of the room as well.

It opens and my grins falls, my eyes widen and the fan slips from my hand. I stare at the man standing just behind Luke, his clothes red from blood, another man helping him inside.

“Ethan?”

...

Please comment and vote!