Chapter 29 Those three words

Start from the beginning

He wore a soft smile on his face and nodded periodically at whatever Laken was telling him. He looked at my son as if there was no one else there, as if whatever he was saying was the most important thing he would ever hear.

 I also noticed the little changes in him. He had a gentleness about him that never appeared around anyone else, not even when he dealt with the pack kids.

They altered each other in all the right ways, it didn’t matter to me anymore that they were both men, that they may never produce an heir, I suppose the war had changed me some, not knowing whether I would live to see my small family again had changed my perspective on a lot of things and as I looked across the courtyard at the man gazing into my son’s eyes with his heart on his sleeve I thought ‘This is a man who has found love’ and I have to smile because I know exactly how he feels.

I look on for a moment longer, watching my son and his mate. I smile when The Alpha reaches up and ruffles his hair and my heart swells when I hear Laken’s laughter. Then I turn away allowing them their moment of privacy. I look instead at my wife who was also looking at our son and I take her hand in mine.

“Let’s go for a walk.” I say to her and she follows.

……………………………………….

~Laken’s POV~

“I can’t believe it only lasted a few hours, it felt like days!” I said to him before flopping down on his unspread bed.  This room was the only one that had remained untouched during the battle and so I felt comfortable and completely safe in this room that we had shared more times than I could count.

“Yeah and look at the damage done in such a short time.” He replied, carefully lowering himself onto the bed. I could tell he was still feeling quite a bit of discomfort from his injuries but I was glad it wasn’t anything serious.

Turns out the gunshot he’d received had merely nicked the flesh of his thigh and so he hadn’t needed any form of surgery, however he now had a bandaged chest, leg and arm and when he walked  it was like a very old person; slow and unsteady. I’d joked about it quite a bit already and he had taken it in stride.

“I know this is probably selfish but I’m just really glad I didn’t lose you, I’d have been willing for anyone else to die but you.” I admitted to him in the silence of the room and I watched his expression carefully when I said the words. He didn’t give anything away though, but his eyes found mine and he patted the area beside him “come here.”

I crawled over to where he sat and lay with my head in his lap looking up at his face as he looked down at mine but he still said nothing. He just ran his hand through my hair over and over again as if memorizing the feel of my curls against his skin. I didn’t say anything either, I was satisfied just watching him as he watched me and basking in the attention he was giving me.

Every now and then despite the pain, he would bend and kiss my forehead or my fingers or my eyes and face and lips and so I didn’t fall asleep with the images of the battle and death in my mind but with the feel of his soft firm lips against mine and the color of his beautiful eyes.

…………………………………

The tears gathered in my eyes as I stared at him. He had his bag slung across his shoulder and a smile on his face. It had been three weeks since the pack raid and he’d already sent in his letter of resignation to the school. Yesterday had been his last class and today he would be flying back to London. 

I had no idea when I would see him again and even though I had his number it just wouldn’t be the same. I was going to miss him and I told him that as I hugged him tight against me in the busy airport.