Chapter #22

"You've kept so many secrets, Y/n! It's like I don't know you anymore!"

The word secrets began to sound like less and less of a word the more she shrieked it at me. She couldn't find another word, she didn't have time to think of anything else but anger.

I'd given up on trying to reason with her. I stood speechless, I wanted to scream at her. I wanted to yell so loud she would sit as speechless as I'm standing, and finally shut her mouth.

"I'm done!" I snapped. I knew if I had said anything further my mother's hand would strike my mouth or my cheek, and by the look on her face, so did she. I turned and left my dorm, rushing down the stairs and out of the dungeons.

I walked quickly to nowhere, stopping at a wall and sliding down to the floor. My breath was calm but my palms were sweaty and shaky as they rubbed my aching temples.

She's overreacting. She's acting as if kissing him a few times made me want to be with him forever. Why would she be angry? He's exactly who she wants me to marry. Rich, pure blooded, tall, handsome, and respected. I don't understand what the problem is here.

I sat for a few more minutes, catching my breath and letting the blunt head pain fade before standing and the walking somewhere, anywhere but there.

I pretended that I couldn't feel the blood rushing to my brain as I stood. Testing my own pain tolerance seemed to bring me a bit of amusement. I found myself thinking of things I could've said to her other than, "I'm done."

'Leave me alone.' ?

'Stop it.' ?

'You don't control me.' ?

'He means nothing' ?

Lie. Lie, lie, lie.

I wanted that to be true. I wanted his presence, his voice, his laugh, his stupid proud smirk, his fucking eyes — I wanted it all to mean nothing, but it didn't. So I had to act as if it did.

"Come with me." That voice.

A lowered, secretive rendition of that voice arose and startled me, he grabbed my arm pulling me away from my path.

Why is he always around at the worst times?

"Where- Draco!" I tried to pry away as he dragged me around the corner where I saw her standing in the middle of the corridor facing the entrance to the room of requirement, the place where the D.A. classes were held.

"Are we ready?" Her squeaky voice ever so close to making my headache return, I looked over to Draco as he nodded silently to her. I felt obligated to yank my arm from his grip causing a small grimace from him.

Umbridge advised that I stand back and I obeyed, a bit worried. She focused her wand at the wall and shot a few spells, her incantations more determined each time.

Shit.

I expected a full room of people with their wands out as the wall crumbled to the ground, causing me to jump back as little pieces of stone rolled to my feet. I fanned at the air in attempt to do away with the thick dust that infiltrated my eyes.

The three of us slowly walked into the room, carefully avoiding stones with our feet. The contents of the room focused in my eyes and I could feel my my expression drop when I saw them. A shocked silence hung before she began to talk again.

"A clear violation of-"

Everything went blurry. My breathing became less and less steady as I stared at them. I noticed my mouth slightly ajar but I didn't have the energy to care about that right now.