Chapter 16

Biana's P.O.V.

This scavenger hunt may have been my best idea yet - and that was saying something. It even topped the prank I had pulled on Fitz 2 weeks ago, which I would never admit to, but I had a feeling Fitz knew it was me. After all, who could've devised such a plan to get back at him for eating my cupcake? 

"Welcome, how may I help you today?" a male employee asked. In fact, I think all employees were required to always say that. So far, Tam and I had been to a clothing store, a craft shop, and a grocery market, and at all three places, a worker had said those exact lines at some point during our visit. I'm learning a lot in this town! I thought eagerly. This was a pretty great town - I didn't know why my dad hadn't let me come for so long. 

"Hello!" I greeted. "We're looking for some climbing shoes." The worker nodded.

"Do you know what size you are?" he asked. Size? That seemed weird. Why would they ask about my size? 

"I'm about 5 feet," I informed him. "I'm told I'm short for my age, but you know, I've never really seen anyone my age until this past week!" The employee looked at me a little confused. I read his name tag. 

"Well, Jack, you see, I've lived in the mountains all my life. And then I was in jail the other day for accidentally shoplifting, so I'm a little behind on the current culture. So what exactly does a size mean? Height? Clothing? Weight? Seems a little personal, but if it's necessary..." Jack crossed his arms. 

"Shoplifting?" he repeated. 

"Uh, don't mind her," Tam jumped in. "We just need shoes." Jack narrowed his eyes suspiciously, but led us to a section of climbing shoes. He kept one eye trained on us the entire time. 

"Seriously?" Tam asked once we were out of earshot. "You live in the mountains?" I nodded. 

"Yeah, why?" Tam shrugged. 

"I just didn't know," he replied. I smiled to myself as we kept on browsing the shoes. Tam was every bit as mysterious and interesting as I had thought. He was also kind of... dark? At times, but I felt like there was more beneath him. And not to mention he looked super cute with those silver bangs that matched his silver-blue eyes. Silver-blue... I never even knew that was a color! 

"Okay, I'm done," Tam informed me. I glanced over to where he had picked a pair of black sneakers. 

"Are you going to try them on?" I asked him. 

"If it fits, it fits, and if it doesn't, it doesn't," Tam said. "What's the point in trying them on?" Huh, I thought. I never thought about it that way. So when I went over to pick out my shoes, I did something I never thought I would ever do. I picked up the box of climbing shoes, looked at the image, and didn't try it on. 

Tam brought up a good point, but trying on shoes also meant letting go of his hand. I had accidentally grabbed it when some spooky ghost jumped out of a ceiling to scare me. Apparently it was just some late Halloween decorations - whatever that meant - but the best part was how Tam didn't let go. 

I used to think it was the most important thing to go shoe shopping, but I suppose now I had more important things in my life. 

"Will that be all today?" Jack asked us. I nodded, handing him our two boxes. "That'll be $101.50." I smiled brightly and handed him my credit card. Fitz had gotten one for me right after I had been released from jail, and then he taught me how to use it in the hotel room. Apparently, you just give them the card and they give it back to you and then you're all paid for! 

"Please sign here," Jack told me. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. Fitz hadn't taught me this part! 

"Um, and by sign, what do you mean?" I asked him. Jack pointed at the screen where there was a small x with a line next to it. I shrugged and took the pen and started to draw a butterfly. I added some hearts and a field of grass and trees and flowers. Finally, I signed my name, Biana V., then handed the pen back. 

"Uh, thank you," Jack said hesitantly. He printed out the receipt and handed me a bag full of the shoes. I looked at the receipt where my drawing had been printed out. 

"EEK! This is awesome!" I exclaimed. I neatly folded the receipt and put in my pocket to show everyone later. Then I grabbed our bag and we made our way out of the store. 

"Where to next?" Tam asked me.  I took out the scavenger hunt list I made and saw we only had a few things left. 

"We need an apron, a piece of paper signed by strangers, and two matching things," I read aloud. 

"A piece of paper signed by strangers?" Tam repeated. "Where'd you come up with that?" I laughed. 

"Well, you see, I thought it'd be hilarious to see everyone do that!" I explained. Tam almost smiled. He did that a lot.  

"That is a pretty good idea," he said. I grinned and led him to the jewelry store. 

"Let's get matching bracelets!" I suggested eagerly. Tam raised an eyebrow and shook his head firmly. "Alright, then..." I browsed around the store until I found a small section of bandanas. 

"Ooh! How about those?" I asked. I grabbed 2 purple bandanas. "See? You wear it on your head or your neck or your wrist!" Tam looked hesitant, but agreed when I compromised we could use gray bandanas. I wrapped mine around my head like a head band, then wrapped Tam's around his wrist securely, before reholding his hand as I started skipping out the store. Then Tam stopped me. 

"Aren't you forgetting something?" he asked. I thought about it for a moment before shaking my head. "You need to pay for these," he reminded. 

"Oh, how silly of me!" I laughed. Two arrests in less than 24 hours? Fitz wouldn't like that at all "Good thing you stopped me! We're a real team now." I smiled at him and he smiled back. Not a half smile or an almost smile - but a real, actual smile that made my entire day.