Chapter Sixty Seven

Start bij het begin

"Want some help? Bao taught me to cook so I'm pretty good."

Nakai always enjoyed seeing how close Luka and Mika were with Wang Bao, and he couldn't stop a small smile appearing on his face after hearing what Luka bragged about. Instead of answering Luka's question outright, Nakai gently nudged Luka's arm while saying.

"He may have taught you to cook, but did he teach you how to bake?"

With a big smile on his face, Luka ran to the cupboard Nakai had shown him, and started dragging the step ladder out in order to be able to stand next to Nakai. Although it hadn't been long since their lunch, Nakai knew Wang Bao would be hungry once he came downstairs since he had puke everything he had eaten. Nakai also knew the food would help sweeten the things he and Wang Bao needed to discuss. While Luka waited beside him patiently, Nakai started pulling various bowls out from the cupboards under the bench. Once the bench was full of everything they needed, Nakai pointed to three large bowls while saying.

"We'll make chocolate chip cookies and a lemon pound cake, then I'll show you how to make a basic bread dough. In the second living room, there is a book shelf. You should be able to find some cooking books to read while waiting here with Alo and Mika."

Luka was more than delighted to hear this, and he started working diligently to measure everything Nakai pointed to for the cookies and cake. Because they had been forced to survive on the basics of food for the past few months, Luka had no idea there were various types of flours and chocolates. While the pair worked together peacefully, Luka listened to Nakai as he explained the various ingredients they were using along with the differences between flour, and their use. After Luka poured the lemon cake mixture into the tin, he worked tirelessly to press down the large cookie dough balls Nakai had shaped. When it finally came to put both trays in the oven, Nakai made sure to watch Luka carefully in case the large trays were too heavy for his small frame. Once everything was in the oven, Nakai set a timer then headed back to the bench with Luka, and scooped out the bread dough he had prepared while Luka had been busy with the cake mix. Before placing the dough down, Nakai sprinkled flour onto the bench and Luka's hands. While Nakai coated the dough in his hand with flour, he instructed Luka.

"When you're kneading the dough you want to press into the dough with the base of your palms, and make sure you use a firm hand until it stops sticking to everything."

While Nakai was holding the ball of dough, Luka felt that it didn't look too big, but once Nakai placed it on the bench and he started pressing his hands into it, the dough appeared to be ten of his fists. Seeing that Luka was focused on kneading the dough, Nakai started washing the dishes and putting everything away. By the time the kitchen was clean, aside from the area Luka was working in, Nakai could see Luka was only halfway done. Rather than rushing Luka or taking over, Nakai leaned against the bench and watched quietly as Luka continued to work. Seeing the serious look on Luka's face reminded Nakai of Rara; the sudden thought of the young boy caused Nakai to become somewhat sad, since he hadn't thought of Rara, Tira, or anyone from Pou's and Ma's ship. Before Nakai could linger too much on the painful feeling of missing them, Nakai roughly ruffled Luka's hair, earning him a wide smile in return from Luka.

When Wang Bao woke up, he could tell it was dark outside by how little light was coming in through the gap in the curtains. He had only planned lying down until he had calmed down, but Wang Bao ended up sleeping for over four hours. Because of this, his already empty stomach was growling at him angrily, and he forced himself to get out of bed and look for some food. From the stairs, Wang Bao could hear murmuring from the kitchen, and when he rounded the corner to walk through the first lounge area, he could see Nakai watching over Luka as he placed cookie after cookie onto a large plate. Wang Bao could see the cookies were almost the same size as Luka's head, but before walking in and disturbing the peaceful moment, he decided to wait in the doorway and watch. Wang Bao had always known Nakai was extra gentle when it came to Luka and Mika, but seeing Nakai like this, he couldn't help but think of what Nakai was like when they were on the ship with Rara. From an outside point of view, Wang Bao thought Nakai would be the worst person on the planet to be placed with children, but he had seen time and time again that looking after children came very naturally to Nakai, a feeling that Wang Bao had never related to before meeting Nakai. For most of his life, Wang Bao had rejected the idea of marriage and children, hoping to end the line of abuse he had suffered with himself, but the longer he spent with Nakai the more that idea started to fade.