Chapter Thirty Eight

Ever since Mika left the tent with Alo, Luka had been squirming around in terror; Zhang tried to keep a firm hold on him, and luckily the sound of the wind helped drown out the hissing but Zhang didn't know if that would be enough to stop the wolves from hearing them. Hoping to add to the soundproofing, Zhang pulled the sleeping bags over his head and spoke to Luka in a serious whisper.

"You need to be quiet, Luka! Even though Alo and Ala have worked with the wolves before, it doesn't mean they're on friendly terms, especially with the chief's son."

Luka instantly calmed down and allowed Zhang to hold him while they stayed under the sleeping bag together. In the other tent Wang Bao was waiting alone and nervous; Nakai had told him to stay put until he personally came to get him, it didn't help that he hadn't been able to hear the sounds of the wolves and he was left to think the worst by himself. Outside in front of the campsite, five silvery wolves taller than Nakai stepped through the trees; The wolf in the front suddenly changed into a tall pale man with short silvery hair and blue eyes, Nakai figured this man was related to Lani in some way because of how similar they looked and he narrowed his eyes, watching the man wrap a wide piece of leather around his waist like a skirt. Unbothered by the biting ice on his bare feet, the man stood with an angry gaze at Nakai; even when Alo and Ala greeted him respectfully, his dark glare never left Nakai's face. Seeing that Nakai wasn't going to greet him, the man's expression screwed up in anger before he spoke in a bitter tone.

"What are you doing here? Do you think this land is free to roam?"

Both Ala and Alo wanted to explain things, but Nakai was too quick to reply. His voice was just as seething as the Werebeast in front of him.

"Do you think I want to be here?"

After hearing Nakai's disrespectful words, the wolves behind the silver haired man let out a low growl from their throats and bared their teeth, clearly waiting for the order to attack. Despite Ala and Alo growing worried about the tense situation, Nakai held his ground and appeared completely unbothered. Seeing this was even more disrespectful and the silver haired man's voice grew in volume when saying.

"I take it you won't leave willingly then?"

Nakai cocked his head to the side and scoffed, before answering with a rather cocky voice.

"No. You'll actually take us back to your shelter instead, then you'll let me speak with your Father."

The man almost burst a blood vessel at what Nakai had said and the wolves were about to attack thanks to the scent he was emitting; before they could jump forward, Nakai continued speaking, his next words shocking everyone around him including Alo and Ala.

"I have news about Lani. If you attack us then you won't see him again."

Suddenly everyone went quiet and all the wolves changed into their human forms. Unlike their leader, everyone else had brown or black hair while they were a full head shorter. All four of the men stared at their leader while looking at Nakai with uncertainty. Nakai remained to look unbothered while he waited to hear their answer. It was almost a full minute before the silver haired man opened his mouth to speak, Ala was on the verge of smacking the man on the head for making her wait so long, and they were finally given a bitter reply.

"Hurry up then, if you can't keep up you'll be left behind to freeze."

Nakai gave a simple nod before turning around. Both Alo and Ala took a few seconds to understand what was happening before they followed behind Nakai. When Alo opened Zhang's tent, he saw the man had a sleeping bag over his head and he wrenched it off, speaking in a rushed voice.