Chapter Fourteen

The dinner turned out to be the best meal Wang Bao had made so far and he finally accepted the bombardment of compliments. To Ma's disappointment there was no dessert since Pou called for an early night for everyone, but on the way out Pou snuck a few sweets that he had bought into her small hands; he couldn't help but laugh to himself at the sight of her wide grin. In the cabin, Nakai was putting everything Wang Bao had thrown out in order to get the sauce back into the backpack. He was almost done but stopped at the sight of a small metal box on the floor. Wang Bao was busy showering and Nakai opened the box to see what was inside.

Surprisingly the box was filled with pictures. Nakai held the large stack of pictures and slowly looked through them. He knew by looking at the first picture that they were taken by the traffickers he had killed. Most of the pictures were of various humanoids that had most likely been sold since he didn't recognise anyone. Nakai kept looking through the pictures, sometimes a human would be in the shot to lift the head or spread the legs of a humanoid. Nakai was almost finished flicking through the stack of pictures when his hands stopped moving. Suddenly Wang Bao came out of the shower in his silk robe, he asked what Nakai was looking at while walking past the quiet giant but was ignored.

"Nakai? What are you looking at?"

Nakai still ignored Wang Bao as he stared at the picture a little longer. He felt he had seen the person in the shot before but he couldn't remember where. Wang Bao asked for a third time, his voice raising in volume from annoyance. Instead of answering, Nakai held the picture in his hand beside Wang Bao's face, earning him more questions.

"What are you doing? What are these photos?"

Without answering any of Wang Bao's questions, Nakai asked in a hesitant tone.

"The woman in this photo is your Mother, isn't it?"

Nakai handed the photo to Wang Bao to look at. A tall woman with long black hair was standing to the side of a woman with large white feathered wings, most of Queen Mother's body was out of the shot since she was pulling the large wing to the side, showing it off for the camera. The only reason Nakai recognised the woman was because her side profile was very similar to her son's. Wang Bao recognised the background as the factory they had run to before leaving the city, and he stared at the photo before tearing it angrily. His heart was full of regret seeing that the photos had come from the metal box he had found.

"I knew my Mother was a bad person but to be involved in this is. It's just..."

Wang Bao couldn't finish his sentence as he snatched the stack of pictures from Nakai's hand, searching through all of them with red eyes before ripping every last one. His Mother had only appeared in one but it was enough to fuel his already burning hatred for the woman. Once Wang Bao was surrounded by the torn up pieces of paper, he shouted angrily to himself.

"She wants to send the royal guards after me when she is involved with these sorts of people?! What did I ever do to her? What did these people do to her?!"

Nakai sat on the edge of his bed and let Wang Bao pace around the room while angrily ranting.

"Do you know what I had to endure throughout my whole life because of that woman? She made me kneel on sandstone if I ever annoyed her, which was almost daily. I learnt from a young age that she was the type of woman I should avoid but what about my brother. He was given nothing but love from her and he was the one to run away first. I should have run away, I'm the one who should be hiding on the other side of the world, not him! And to think Lei knew my Father's death didn't make sense, but he didn't do anything about it. Why did he have to go, does he not know how much I have suffered because of him?"