Chapter 2

I adjusted my top for the umpteenth time and cursed myself for trying to look cute when I knew that it was going to be uncomfortable. The shirt was a crop top and yet I kept yanking it into submission so that it barely showed my midriff and the jeans that I was wearing happened to be a little too tight but they were the only "sexy" pair I had at the moment.

I had called my brother's wife, Sophia, to ask what I should wear and this was, of course, what she had chosen. I knew better than to ask her but when it came to being girly, I was the last authority and from that moment on, I vowed that she would be the second to last.

"You didn't want to order anything?"

I looked up to see Matt arriving and he took the seat next to mine. He pulled the chair up so that he was closer and our knees touched. While I had no idea what it was about this man, my knees felt weak and my throat was dry anytime he spoke to me. "I'm just waiting on my wine."

"Wine?" Caesar approached from the same alleyway between the tables and took the seat on the opposite side of me, taking off his coat and draping it across the back of the chair. "Of course."

"Nothing wrong with wine." Matt smirked.

Caesar rolled his eyes. "You know you don't have to agree with everything that she says to get her to sleep with you." He challenged. "She's already pooling over there."

I could feel the heat rushing to my cheeks and I wanted nothing more than to hide under the table.

I cleared my throat to prepare my response but I was interrupted by Matt. "You know that I'm spoken for."

Damn.

That seemed to be more embarrassing than the fact that I was obviously attracted to him. I wanted to go about the conversation in some kind of casual way to alleviate the flush spreading across my face but nothing that I said in my mind sounded good enough to cross my lips.

So instead, I stayed quiet.

"Where is she tonight, anyway?"

"She's probably still pouring over those case studies that Rita asked her for." He sighed. "I do not wish being a paralegal on anyone."

Cesar gave a noise that sounded a bit like a chuckle and stood again. "I'm going to get a beer, do you need anything?" he asked Matt.

"Whatever you get is fine." He cleared his throat when Cesar turned to walk away and stopped him in his tracks. "Are you going to ask Scarlett if she wants anything while you're making the trip?"

He snorted and walked away.

"Well isn't he a ball of sunshine."

"He's actually really nice once you get to know him." Matt explained. "I think he's still a little salty about the fact that they kind of dismissed him when he asked to pretty much have your position."

"Oh." I replied. "Well I could see why that would piss him off."

"So do I but he doesn't need to take it out on you." He continued. "It isn't like you were aware of it."

I shook my head. "Any kind gesture that you could think of to get me on his good side?"

Matt stifled laughter and turned away from me.

"What?"

He turned back to me, tears in his eyes from holding back his laugh. "He hasn't gotten laid in a really long time. Can you help him with that?"

I felt the red rising to my cheeks again. "Um...I..."

"I'm joking."

I attempted to chuckle it off but of course I was still thinking about it when Cesar came back to the table and set down one of the beers. His gaze passed mine and I knew that I was practically glowing red as I thought about the fact that this man who was, as brooding as he appeared, extremely handsome and had been having trouble getting his own women.