chapter xi

her back to f/n, she was first to speak.
"sayaka igarashi. call me sayaka." she turned around, staring deeply into f/n's eyes, who tried to stay still, as if moving would trigger the stoic character.

"i won't sugarcoat this. you're never going to see midari again, and you'll only be staying with me for a few hours until kirari comes and gets you." if sayaka felt anything about this statement, she definitely wasn't making it obvious.

"why will i never see her again?" inquired f/n. so that was why midari was acting so strange.

"you can, actually. but you shouldn't. have you not noticed? the two people closest to you that aren't the twins have gone wrong after your arrival. mary and runa, they were only trying to take care of you. but they got too close." said sayaka.
and she continued,

"if you don't want midari to end up gone like runa or insane like mary, i suggest you stay put. in the end, it was midari's mentality that saved her from either of those wraths. she did what she could to protect you in your time together before leaving for her own sake and yours. and that's also what you need if you want to survive, at my best guess."

"thank you."
f/n bit her lip, holding back cries of frustration. why was she here, what had she done to deserve such consequences? was it because of how she was born? that had to be it. pure immortality was nothing but a privilege, a materialistic delicacy.

      "please follow me.
and it's no use being so upset. this will and always has been your fate. do you think life is fair?" sayaka called harshly.

             f/n forcefully blinked back her tears and slowly followed sayaka, trying her best to put on a brave face.

  if this was what was left of her time without the nightmares called the momobami twins, she wasn't about to spend it miserably.

"tell me about yourself." f/n pronounced.
her voice didn't crack at that sentence despite her despair, and she thought that was a good start.

~

      kirari entered the location in which where sayaka was quietly conversing with f/n. it was a tower, it's fifth floor being the highest point in hell. full of grey and white checkered floors and several dead flowers on the floor (f/n wondered where they were from), and so many doors. sayaka mentioned not to attempt escape using them, because apparently it was much more likely she would get lost or randomly fall to her death more than leave the building.

"there's a crash mat if you fall," the stationary immortal had mentioned, "but there will be no one to fall with you, which is what really matters."
        then she held back a tired smile. she knew the tower too well. the tower of doors.

       "not even you?" said f/n sarcastically. at this point she was just bored, but not bored enough to try anything that would cost her her life.

       "...if you answer correctly."

"good days, sayaka. thank you for your help." called the ever-so-familiar honey sweet voice.

"hello ma'am." to f/n's surprise, sayaka smiled.
         her voice was more stable and void of emotion as usual, but apparently she was capable of positive emotion.