chapter v

"so how exactly did we meet, ririka?" f/n inquired, slowly eating the honey butter chips she had given her. the sweet, harmonious flavors melted in her mouth as she unknowingly smiled softly at the new, fresh sensation.

"in a much more consensual way, before you met kirari. our meetings were much more desirable, and what lasted of it remain in my memories as my best days." ririka smiled dreamily, cautiously watching
f/n consume more of the her snack.

"you're rather poetic for someone who seems to be so withdrawn."

"it's only natural. i like to think that introverted people are stronger in a way. they may seem more vulnerable at first glance, but i believe that nothing shows off more vulnerability than exploiting your true persona for all to pinpoint your weaknesses."

"if you think in such a way, how will you ever engage with people that could mean the most to you when time passes? will you not risk anything at all, out of fear that you'll be hurt?"

ririka thought for a few moments before answering, "i suppose so. i don't trust even my sister, who i've lived in the shadow of my whole life. maybe that says a lot."

"well, what makes me so special? you're not afraid that i'll hurt you?"

"i've seen you when we were children. i would visit the mortal world every day, and one of those days i saw you. you've been told you're a pure immortal, correct? people of your kind are rather interesting. they have strange personalities that most mortals need in order to live their best lives, but do not possess."

"ririka... i hope you know yourself as well as you seem to know me."

"i don't know if i do."

"i'm not sure what my logic behind that was, if i really did say that."

"someday? you don't seem to be aware how valuable your gift is. but i don't want to label your worth just because of how you were born. and that's why you should stay with me and not kirari! she's only using you, if you haven't caught on already, only i can teach you how precious you really are. soon, you'll realize that i'm the only one that can make you feel so."

ririka smiled proudly, gently reaching out to brush the crumbs off of f/n's lips.

"thanks, i think i should stop eating now. i should have asked you if you wanted any, but i already ate everything..."
flustered with guilt, f/n looked away awkwardly, only then realizing how selfish she must have seemed.

"it's okay, you looked so happy when you were eating, i felt full watching you eat."
ririka blushed lightly, suddenly finding the floor very interesting.

regaining composition, ririka started to speak again.

"so is there any last places you want to visit before you stay with me?"

"what did you mean by last?" f/n looked suspiciously at ririka. every now and then ririka seemed to have a different side to her that she couldn't hide completely, and it seemed to slip out in her questionable wording.

"what?" the recipient of f/n's comment only looked confused. but perhaps there was genuinely intent behind her slip up, because she chose her next words rather quickly.

"i mean, is there really nowhere you want to go that kirari would never let you go to?" ririka rephrased carefully.

"speaking of taking me places, did i really have to be taken away from where i was raised, where i was with runa and mary? you know them right? they told me i would live a separate life after my departure, but the only people i've interacted with so far since that day is you and kirari... what's really going on?"

"kirari has an evil plan to take over hell by using you for some millennium old potion recipe that apparently requires 'the genuine tears of happiness from a pure immortal being,' which means you. and i'm here to keep you away from her! you really don't want to help her, do you?"
ririka shook her head in disapproval, remembering her sister's outrageous plan. how could she expect one possibly illegitimate potion to ensure a forever rule?

"i guess not."
before f/n could throughly think about it, she was once again interrupted.

"great! now where do you want to go?"

"i would like to see runa and mary again."

this was said by f/n without a second thought, as ririka tried her hide her annoyance. of course she would want to go back.

"okay. let's go."

in seconds they were back in the beautiful cottage
f/n had grown up in, a surprise appearance in front of their inhabitants.

"f/n! i never thought i would see you again! please stay here forever now that you're here." runa cried, rushing the h/c figure into a cushioned chair.

"my goodness f/n, it hasn't even been so long but you're already back." mary smiled brightly, not resisting to give f/n a tight hug.

once mary pulled away, she noticed ririka.

"what compelled you to bring her back? you were so eager to take her away." mary demanded.

"that's not kirari, mary, that's her twin ririka." runa piped up.

"i'm surprised you know my name." ririka responded bitterly.

"who are they? didn't you say just yesterday that no one will ever visit this place because of that secret?" an unfamiliar voice had discovered the reunion.
she had short black hair and passionate eyes with very small pupils, wearing a maroon colored cardigan and headband.

"oh, you're back," mary acknowledged in an inhospitable tone, "this is f/n
l/n, who stayed with us before you did, and f/n, this is midari ikishima."