01. - the reunion

one year later;

This is the first time someone has run away from him

How she managed that, he never knew. But it definitely kept him on his toes. Aleksander smiled while mounting his horse, definitely ready to chase after her.

He was not worried about finding her. He knew she'll be in the first army base, visiting her best friends. He didn't understand why she is trying to get back to her little friends. She's too stuck in the past when he can give her the future.

Looking at the second army that will go with him to the first army base, he inspect each and every of the Grishas. Although all of them are powerful, no one will ever match his Ravenna. What a perfect couple they are or so he thought.

"You might have got a head start, my love. But I will always be one step behind you," Aleksander muttered darkly while looking up at the sky. "After all, I still haven't got the painting that you promised me."

-

"Alina! Mal!" Ravenna called out as soon as she mounted down from her horse, seeing her two best friends walking together side by side. Hearing their names, Alina's and Mal's head turned around only to widen their eyes at the familiar sight of their long lost best friends.

Alina, who couldn't contained her excitement, ran forward and crashed towards the woman who had her arms wide opened; ready to accept all the hugs she could get. "Veena!"

"I missed you," Alina's voice was muffled as Mal suddenly engulfed both of them in a big, tight hug. "How are you here?"

"I sneak in with the Grishas that are here for the expedition," Ravenna grinned brightly, winking at them and making them looked at her with disbelief.

"You mean you escaped from the little palace?" Mal couldn't help but asked.

Both Mal and Alina looked at her for a moment trying to figure out how she got the balls to run away, but Ravenna just held her chin up proudly and held their gaze with a mischievous glint in it. "Yep."

"Well since you're here, we have to make sure that you won't go back there again," Alina muttered. "Come on, we have to hide you."

Ravenna looked at both of her bestfriend for a second. Realizing that she's so lucky to have such amazing friends that will help her whenever she needs it.

"They're going to find me soon enough, I can't never really escape from the little palace. Especially from Ale- General Kirigan," Ravenna scoffed in the direction of a black tent, prepared just for the darkling.

"You rarely send us letters after you told us that you were going with the Grisha a year ago," Mal said, changing the topic.

"Letters are monitored, not to mention training is grueling. My legs always almost give out by the end of the day, so when I hit the bed I will just pass out and forget about writing you guys' letters. I'm sorry," Ravenna groaned. It is not the truth but it's not an exact lie either. "How's your life without me? Must have been dull."