32. I really hate weeds

Start from the beginning

I have to hold back a chuckle. Is he really going to attempt breaking it off to stroke his ego?

"Luke, you cant just-

Words die on my tongue as he rams his shoulder into the heavy trunk of the tree, causing it to shake furiously.

Luke pulls back, only to repeat the application of force. Once. Twice. The tree rips off its roots.

Breathing heavily, a few rebellious drops of sweat on his temple, Luke flashes me a quick crooked smile.

"You were saying, Hazel?" he lifts my chin up as he approaches, closing my mouth

Blood rushes to my face but I refuse to let him have the smugness and huff.

"I was saying we cant just destroy trees," I say, walking towards the fallen tree "But well."

"Then maybe you'd like to wade through the swamp, Hazel." A voice says from behind me

"And let the tree's death be fruitless?" I ask, eyes wide in dramatic horror "I'd rather not."

Luke's eyes narrow a fraction but he leaves it at that as he picks up his things and starts after me on the bridge.

As we reach the center of the tree trunk, it start getting thinner and I open my arms to keep my balance.

I can do this, I take a few wobbly steps forward, I can definitely-

A yelp passes my lips as I begin tipping towards the left and my eyes widen in horrified anticipation as I stare at the slimy green water when someone grabs my arm and pulls me back.

I spin on my heel, barely steadying myself when I see a certain Alpha now walking ahead of me.

"Are you alright, Hazel?" Luke glances at me over his shoulder "It seems like you need help."

"I'm good," I say, focusing on my steps and trying my best not to shove him down the bridge

With a shrug, Luke walks over the bridge with lithe, catlike steps, making it to the other side as easy as if he'd been walking on flat earth.

"Take your time, Hazel." He says, crossing his arms "I'm figuring that it'll take you a while."

Indignation and irritation burn up my face and I narrow my eyes at him in determination. I'll show you, you brat!

I take a few steps forward, wobble to the right, steady myself just barely and my own momentum carries me forward, I almost fall due to the now thin and wobbling stem of the tree.

As if my feet have a mind of their own and they love to dance, tripping and staggering, they waltz forward and finally, I feel the earth under my feet.

"Made it!" my hands shoot up, a wide grin gracing my lips "Take that! I don't have a drop of water-

The rest of my insults scatter away as I take a step forwardー in mudー and slip backwards.

In the swamp.

I come up the surface, disgustingly wet and slimy. You got me there, irony.

A small sound reaches me, I look up to see Luke's face turned sideways, but his dark eyes are on me, bemused as he holds a fist over his mouth but I see the corner of his mouth tugged upward.

I glare at him as I come out "Not a word."

I take off my long boots and rid them of the slimy water, Luke wisely stays quiet as I rid myself off the slime as much as possible.

"Please tell me the sacred map shows a stream nearby." I say to him

"Only a few miles away."

I groan and hang my head, my shoulders sagging. I'm too tired to complain to fate right now.