chapter eight

"i can't help but love you even though i try not to, i can't help but want you, i know that i'd die without you."  - war of hearts

TW: sexual assault flashbacks in this chapter, i will place a bold italic warning before it happens. 

───── ★★★─────

The next day, Azriel could not help but feel lighter than he had ever felt.

He went to the River House the next morning after training, he had asked Gwyn and Emerie to help train the others as he believed they're advanced enough to help in Cassian and Nesta's absence, and he couldn't help but feel proud of how far they came.

Both of them. Gwyn had overcome so much, after what happened to her and to see her so strong now made his heart swell. And Emerie, she dealt and still deals with so much hate and sexism in Illyria, on top of getting her wings clipped. They truly are amazing.

He winnowed to the River House and found Rhysand and Feyre awaiting him with grins on their faces. He ducked his head in embarrassment.

"So...Az.." Feyre trailed off with a smirk. "Anything you want to talk about?"

He cleared his throat. "Um..no?"

"No?" Rhys quirked an eyebrow as he enveloped Azriel in a big hug.

"You found her! You found your mate!"

"It didn't snap into place for her yet, it only did for me when she..when I sang." He whispered and their grins only widened as Azriel's cheeks tinged a pink hue.

He debated on telling them, that she's a lightsinger.

He didn't want to tell them without her consent. So, he waited. He didn't mention it.

"You sang to her?" Feyre asked, her hands over her heart as if she was swooning. She then swatted Rhys on the chest. "You don't sing for me!"

Rhys gave Azriel a blank look. "Thanks, thanks so much for that Az."

Az tipped an imaginary hat on his head with a wry grin. "My pleasure, Rhys."

And Feyre noticed with a slight spark in her chest that this was the most she's seen Azriel smile since she met him.

And for that reason, she's never loved Gwyn more. 

Once Azriel left, she looked at Rhys and found he was staring at the spot Azriel stood, with a soft smile on his face. She interlaced her fingers with his, and Rhys' eyes welled up. 

"What's wrong, love?" She asked him softly, and Rhys just shook his head, letting out a choked laugh. 

"Nothing," he whispered. "He's..he's happy, Feyre. I almost never see him happy." He said to her, and she smiled. Feeling the similar emotion, her own eyes welling up with tears. 

"He finally has a mate he deserves." She whispered.

Elain overheard them, and she felt her heart crack, yet swell at the same time.