Chapter Fifty Six

Start from the beginning

"I haven't met one of those before. You're a rare one aren't ya'? I'll go give my buddy a call then, and see about that ride for you three. It shouldn't take too long."

Both Luka and Zhang wanted to decline her kind offer, but neither one of them were able to get a word in, since she turned on her heels quicker than she had served them. As soon as the waitress walked into the kitchen, Zhang kept an eye on her through the serving hatch while whispering to Nakai, his tone somewhat impatient.

"We should go now, Nakai; something bad might happen if we wait for her, so called friends."

Luka quickly nodded his head in agreement with Zhang, but Nakai was already set on his decision, and replied to Zhang while looking peering into the kitchen as well, his eyes glued on the waitress who was hanging up her phone.

"Worst case scenario we have to fight some more people, but either way we get a ride out of this. Besides, I want to see if my gut feeling is right."

Zhang leaned back in his chair, nodding his head to show he was fine with Nakai's plan, and it wasn't long before the waitress walked to the side of their table. It was clear to everyone that the waitress was more interested in speaking to Nakai, especially after finding out he was an elephant Werebeast. While ignoring Luka and Zhang, the waitress turned towards Nakai, her sweet smile never fading as she said.

"Good news; my friend is still in town and he has room for you three. He has a small truck so he will pull up at the back of the diner. Should we head out now?"

Copying the waitress' honey soaked smile, Nakai agreed happily before thanking her. In the meantime, Zhang took Luka's hand in his own since he knew the ride they were getting wasn't as straightforward of an offer as the waitress was making it out to be, and he didn't want Luka getting caught in the middle when a fight broke out. Following Nakai, who was already walking across the diner with the waitress, Zhang kept Luka close to his side, his eyes darting around seriously. He found it odd that they would be led through the kitchen towards the back parking area for the diner, but what was more suspicious was the lack of attention the rest of the diner staff were giving them, as if seeing random people walk through their kitchen was a normal sight.

When they finally reached the back entrance of the diner, the waitress pushed both metal doors open at the same time, allowing Nakai, Zhang and Luka to step out at the same time, rather than in a single file line. Keeping Luka in between him and Zhang, Nakai's eyes landed on the small semi truck thirty feet away while they walked forward, but he quickly noticed no one was in, or around the truck. Before Nakai could turn around, he felt a slight pinch on the back of his neck, before he heard Luka cry out in pain. Reacting quickly, Nakai swiped at the back of his neck, removing the tranquiliser dart he had been shot with, while Zhang caught Luka who had fallen unconscious. When Nakai turned around to see who had dared to shoot him, he found two middle aged men crouched down on either side of the doors they had walked through, both of them armed with tranquiliser guns. Despite being hit with one dart, Nakai felt fine and he stepped forward at a fast pace, allowing more darts to penetrate his skin as he reached out to grab the frightened waitress. Because Nakai hadn't been affected by the darts, the waitress tried to run away, but the back of her neck was quickly clasped in Nakai's tight hold. Nakai was never one to shy away from violence when himself or people he cared about were threatened, and to keep the waitress from running, Nakai kicked down onto her ankle hard, breaking the small bone without any care.

After dropping the sobbing woman to the ground, Nakai then lunged forward towards the man that had shot him with multiple rounds of darts, and caught him by his neck before he could run towards his truck. The second man was already laying on the ground unconscious while Zhang kicked down onto his chest repeatedly; he was clearly angry about Luka being hit by a tranquiliser dart, and didn't show any signs of stopping his attack anytime soon. With one hand, Nakai dragged the crying man back towards the back doors that were shut. With the double metal doors being closed, it meant both the workers and customers couldn't hear the loud crying that was coming from both the waitress and truck driver. The back doors they had walked through were already shut tightly, meaning the workers and customers inside the diner couldn't hear anything that was happening. When Nakai made it to the diner doors, he yanked the truck driver up roughly, and shoved the sobbing man against the concrete wall without a care for how much strength he was using. Although the man was begging Nakai to let him go, Nakai turned a deaf ear to him as he asked in a dark quiet voice.