|32| Madison

"I'm so sorry," Maddy apologized profusely when she realized that she made a mistake. Getting kidnapped twice had made her paranoid as hell.

"Are you okay?" she asked with concern filling her voice. "I'm so sorry."

Ella just brushed it off and grinned at Maddy. "I'm fine but you've got some seriously badass moves. I can't wait to see how tomorrow's challenge will play out."

"You don't know what tomorrow's challenge will be," Maddy pointed out as she followed Ella.

"All the faeries except the participants know what tomorrow's challenge will be. It has already been picked. You'll be told tomorrow."

"What is it?" Maddy asked. Even though she wasn't supposed to ask about the challenge she didn't give a damn about the faeries' entertainment. What she did give a damn about was the fact that Leia was trapped and Maddy couldn't do a thing to help her until she won a stupid game.

Ella shrugged. "Can't tell you."

She led Maddy to a clearing. It was between the thick bunch of bushes that Maddy had seen before. There were less chances of being heard by the other faeries when they were among the trees but just for caution, Ella quickly set up a simple illusion.

"Why aren't you supposed to teach me about the dagger's specialty?" Maddy asked curiously.

"Because this trick could be used against the faeries."

"Then why are you doing this?"

"As I said, any friend of Lila's is my friend too."

"You don't even know Lila," Maddy pointed out. "You only what others have told you."

"I have seen how other smos are with their bonded faeries. I know that Lila will be best friend."

Maddy nodded. Lila had said that the smo's bond with a faerie was like the bond between two werewolf mates and Maddy had seen how werewolves blindly trusted their mates.

"Where is your dagger?" Ella asked as she looked Maddy up and down. For second Maddy thought that she had forgotten it but then she remembered she had tried to stab Ella with her dagger when she thought that Ella was trying to kidnap her. When she realized that she couldn't get a proper hit on Ella while Ella was gripping her shoulder, Maddy hid it in her shoes for later. Maddy took out her dagger from her shoe and handed it out to Ella.

"How do you call it? I tried all night," Maddy said with frustration.

Ella raised her eyebrows. "You need to tell a specific word to trigger the spell."

Maddy groaned. "Why didn't you tell that before? I spent so much of time trying to call it through my mind."

Ella started laughing. "I didn't know that you would immediately try to call the dagger towards yourself. I could have taught you the spell in the castle itself but I was afraid that some faerie might walk in on us and then we would be screwed."

"Fate hates me," Maddy grumbled.

Ella kept Maddy's dagger a meter away. "Now close your eyes and say the whisper the word lux."

Maddy nodded and closed her eyes. She had tried calling the dagger with her eyes closed before but she hadn't tried it while saying the word 'lux' before. Hopefully it would work.

The moment Maddy uttered the word lux, a light started flickering in front of her even though her eyes were closed. Maddy hadn't expected that to happen so her eyes immediately flew open and the light disappeared.

"What was that?" Maddy asked. "A light randomly started shining."

Ella cracked a smile. "What did you expect? Lux is literally the Latin word for light. That light was your dagger's aura. Something like that."

Maddy closed her eyes once again and tried it. This time she was prepared for the light.

"Now try to call the light towards you," Ella instructed.

"How do I call the light?"

"Just imagine the light moving towards you."

Maddy nodded as though she understood what she had to do. She had absolutely no idea how to just imagine the dagger flying to her hand but she had to try it. Just like how she sat in her room and concentrated on making the dagger move towards her, she tried to call the dagger towards herself.

After minutes of concentrating, Maddy felt the light move the slightest bit. Maddy excitedly opened her eyes to see how far the dagger moved but groaned when she saw the dagger. The dagger, which had been placed with its hilt towards Maddy, was now deflected slightly towards the right so that its blade faced Ella but it hadn't moved an inch closer.

Maddy groaned and flopped down on the ground. "This is impossible. It hasn't even moved the slightest bit closer."

Ella smiled wryly. "I never said that it would be easy."

Maddy spent the rest of the night there trying to master it. If she could figure out how to call the dagger back, she would be able to fight better against the faeries as well as rogues. Ella had to leave after an hour of watching Maddy struggling to move the dagger as she had to make sure that Ixana was alright.

Ella dropped Maddy a little far away from where she was staying. Since the faerie's powers are based of nature, Ella suggested that Maddy stayed near the trees while practicing as it would be easier to call her dagger when she was near nature. So, Maddy stayed near the trees a few meters away from the place where she was staying and continued practicing.

By the time she closed her eyes for the fifteenth time, Maddy was tired. Till now, the maximum she could move the dagger was a few inches. While Thor could call his hammer from Asgard when he was on Earth, Maddy could move her dagger by a few inches. Wow.

So, you could imagine her surprise when she opened her eyes for the fifteenth time and saw that the dagger had moved towards her. It hadn't reached her hand yet but it was so close to her leg that she was nearly touching the dagger. Maddy grinned and did a silent cheer. Finally, some improvement.

Maddy decided to return back. It was practically dawn and although all that Maddy did was sit and close her eyes, she felt extremely tired. The spell had sapped a lot of Maddy's energy. When she opened the door, she saw that Jeremy, Xander and Alexa were waiting for her.

"Well?" Xander asked.

"Well what?"

"Did you learn how to make your dagger fly?"

"Not fly exactly but it has moved a little bit. I should be able to get it after some practice."

Alexa nodded excitedly. "You'll be like the female version of Thor."

Maddy threw her hands up. "Finally, someone who understands my references."