Chapter 43

So the whole time, the answer to the problem was three thousand miles away and across the boarder! Ash and I spent all night researching everything about surrogates in Montreal...well...I did...Ash fell asleep around one in the morning. So much for an all-nighter, but who cares! Around 3AM, I found an article that can win my mom back! I can go to Princeton happy...maybe I can get my boyfriend back.

-

After three or four hours of well-deserved sleep, I went to Amelia's hotel. She was staying at the Super 8. From I heard, the most people who stay there are just getting one night sleep for travel the next day, or bringing a trick to screw around with behind their spouse's back.

Anyway, I knocked on the door, waited ten seconds until Amelia opened up.

"Oh hey, what's up?" she asked.

"I got great news, can I come in?" I asked.

"You may," she replied. I followed her inside; the room was nice. The bed was a queen size and made up, there was a couch, TV, a desk, and bathroom. Nothing real fancy, I mean it was a motel after all.

"So what great news do you have?" she asked as we sat on the couch.

"I pulled an all-nighter last night and researched surrogacy in Montreal. Now in Montreal, it is in fact legal for the surrogate mother once given to the child to change her mind and keep the child. She has 45 days to change her mind, and once legal documents are signed, the surrogate mother would be the child's rightful guardian. So around 5AM this morning I called the hospital where I was born and the nurse told me she had my birth records, my dad's signature to check us in and out of the hospital, and your signature on the hospital's records on the birth certificate. She's going to fax me everything about my birth, we can use it," Amelia grabbed the document from my hands and scanned over it, twice or three times maybe, then her jaw dropped as she placed it in her lap.

"Tess lied to you, what she wrote down on the piece of paper was her signature on a phony document that she created herself. She knew that in Montreal you could easily get your baby back by going to the surrogate company and signing a whole bunch of papers. She did that illegally. Not only did she frame you but she tricked you!" I explained. Tears started welling up in her eyes.

"Wow, who knew such an amazing child could come from a screw up like me?" she asked.

"You weren't always a screw up, you're my mother and I'm daughter," I replied. Amelia nodded and grabbed a tissue, wiping her nose.

"Um, what piece of paper did you say your mother had? How did you know that?" she asked.

"I had a dream a couple nights ago...um-it was my own birth," I said awkwardly.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry you had to see that," Amelia said.

"No, no it was fine, because it gave me everything I needed, except it told me something I never knew about you," I said.