Chapter 13

A couple of weeks passed since the incident. Tom and Luke are fit as fiddles again, and nothing has really changed. Jake keeps trying to flirt with me, and Madison is trying to find new ways of 'destroying' me. Tom and I do homework and study together. He doesn't like studying at my house though. When I asked him why he said that he feels disarmed when Amelia is around. And she watches us like a hawk.

I closed my locker just as the end-of-day bell rang. All of the sudden someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around but nobody was there. Then I heard Tom laughing.

"Oh my gosh! I cannot believe I actually fell for that!" I exclaimed. He continued laughing, then calmed down and shook his head.

"Sorry I couldn't help myself. Anyway are we still on?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm just packing up. You're house or the park?" I asked.

"Park, we're not likely to get harassed there," he said.

"Are you more scared of Amelia or Madison?" I asked.

"What does that matter?" he asked.

"Because Amelia's your teacher and Madison is a psycho with a crush on you," I replied.

""Ignoring that, come on let's go to the park," he said. We walked to the park with the willow tree and lake near Amelia's house. I slumped down against the tree and Tom sat down next to me, reaching into his bag for his materials.

"Let's see...history first," Tom said and opened up a textbook. I groaned.

"You really hate it that much?" he asked.

"Of course I do, because I suck. I mean, what sort of job are you going to get where you’re required to know the facts about Napoleon?" I replied. He just chuckled in response.

"Come on I'll help you,” he said. We turned to the page of Shakespeare with Romeo and Juliet. This story is so depressing! I don't get how it became so famous? Than again I love the McBeth story for some reason and it's just as depressing.

“This isn’t history, this is English…or drama…but it’s not history!” I told him.

“Well I’m reading it, so pay attention,” He replied, I crossed my arms over my chest and shrugged.

“Fine,”

"The story of Romeo and Juliet belongs to a tradition of tragic romances stretching back to antiquity. Its plot is based on an Italian tale, translated into verse as The Tragical History of Romeus and Juliet by Arthur Brooke in 1562 and retold in prose in Palace of Pleasure by William Painter in 1567. Shakespeare borrowed heavily from both but, to expand the plot, developed supporting characters, particularly Mercutio and Paris. Believed to have been written between 1591 and 1595, the play was first published in a quarto version in 1597. This text was of poor quality, and later editions corrected it, bringing it more in line with Shakespeare's original. Did you get any of that?" Tom asked.

"I started to tune out at 'tradition'," I replied. He huffed.

"Wow, alright let me try something else. Pretend I'm Romeo and you're Juliet, okay?" he asked. 

"Alright fine: Oh no! I'm Juliet Capulet! I fell in love with my enemy and now I have to kill myself just to make a point!" I acted. Tom laughed at me.

"Hilarious. But no, take this seriously. Juliet first starts fall in love with Romeo when they kiss at the Capulet ball," he said.

"Oh yeah, he calls her a virgin angel or something. See, if that happened in this day and age, the guy would be slugged," I replied.

"It's Shakespeare's poetry. By calling her that he's saying that-that…Juliet is as gorgeous as an angel. It's like if I were calling you the most beautiful girl I had ever met," he said. I nodded, feeling that weird feeling in my stomach again.

"Go on," I said.

"Juliet starts to fall for his charm, but she doesn't know he's a Montague. So without any care for her groom, Paris, she let's Romeo kiss her," he continued.

"I guess that's kind of romantic, but it seems unrealistic. They're hopeless romantics. They kiss one person and are convinced that they're destined to be with that person for the rest of their lives," I said.

"It doesn't seem so unrealistic," Tom argued.

"Alright prove it, how is it unrealistic?" I asked. Tom looked down in thought, and then he looked back up at me. He just stared at me, that's all he did. His blue eyes hypnotized me again. They drew me into him. Then Tom started to lean in towards me. My gaze switched to his lips, I closed my eyes and felt my lips press against his. Now my insides were doing flips and spins, I felt like I was on cloud 9. I had never felt this way with anybody. Tom had this way with me. My hands cupped his face as he deepened the kiss, with his arms wrapping around my waist snuggly. Tom suddenly pulled away.

"Um...is something wrong?" I asked nervously. What if he didn't like me kissing him? Well in all fairness it's his fault. He kissed me!

"If I had known you were such a good kisser I would've done it a long time ago," he said. That made me laugh.

"Wow seriously?" I asked with a giggle.

"What? Is that a crime?" he shot back. I shook my head.

"No, but you had me scared for a moment," I replied.

"Are you still scared?" he asked. I shook my head for no.

"Would you mind if I kissed you again?" he asked.

"No," I replied with a shy smile.

"In that case..."