Chapter 39

By the time I returned to Ash's house it was five thirty. I spent the rest of the afternoon sitting in that chair, thinking about what she'd said. I don't even know who I am anymore.

Ashlyn was in the kitchen, changed out of her court clothes and in her pajamas. She was typing some stuff on her computer, not acknowledging that I had come in.

"Hi," I said quietly.

"Hello," she replied without a glance, her focus remained on her computer.

"Ash can we talk?" I asked.

"You can talk, but don't count on me to listen," she replied. I looked around and noticed a picture of Ash and Ty sitting on the china cabinet. Oh boy.

"Fine, I'll talk to Ty then," I said and went up to the picture.

"Hi Ty, so since your girlfriend won't talk to me I'll talk to you. Ashlyn was right about me, I pity myself way too much, and I run away from my problems. I broke my first relationship because I thought I was helping my mom, but I was putting myself first. I don't deserve Amelia as a mother, if anything I should've just kept my nose out of it. But that's who I am. Ashlyn has a right to be mad at me, I pulled everybody into a hole, and I need to find a shovel to dig myself out. I would be able to do that thought if my best friend in the whole wide world would talk about it with me and let me stop talking to a picture," I said and looked at her. Ashlyn broke out into a grin, the jumped out of her seat and gave me a hug.

"Aw Court, I'm sorry," she said.

"I'm sorry too. And you were right, I put myself first before others and-and I tackle the little fish first before the big ones," Ashlyn became confused.

"That didn't make much sense to me, but I'll take that as your apology," she replied as she pulled away.

"Thank you, hey you want to just get a load of junk food and watch movies tonight?" I asked.

"I thought you'd never ask," she replied. We both started giggling and we hugged each other again.

"Um, hey, before you go get your pajamas on I have something for you," she said and went to the infamous/famous junk drawer. Out came a large yellow envelope.

"This came to the house today, I found it sitting on the table when I came back. It's for you." she said and handed it to me. The sender was a man named Steve Lemanger, the return address read: Princeton, NJ 08544, United States.

"It's from Princeton," I said.

"Well don't just stand there, open it," Ash said. This was it, the one moment that decides whether I rise or fall. With my heart in my throat, I tore open the letter and pulled out a packet of papers, oh...my...god.

"I got in. I got in. Ash I've just been accepted to Princeton!" I nearly screamed. Ash squealed and wrapped me in another hug. We started jumping up and down like little girls on their birthdays when they receive that one toy they've always dreamed of.