Chapter Fifty Two

Începe de la început

At first Mika and Luka were mesmerised by the clear night sky, then they were in awe of the sound of the gentle breeze and started swaying back and forth, as if they were trees themselves. While Luka started stumbling forward to continue walking, Mika silently bent down with a cheeky grin, forming a small snowball in his cold hands. Calling out to his brother, Mika suddenly threw the snowball at Luka, but slipped and fell into the snow at the same time. Luka screamed from the sudden cold ice that collided with his cheek, while Alo stumbled over to help Mika up from the ground. As soon as he bent down, Luka threw his own sloppy snowball, colliding with Alo's head. Luka had been able to keep his balance when landing the throw, and he erupted into a loud guffaw from the look on Alo's face. As soon as Mika was back on his feet, an impromptu snow fight broke out, with Luka working against both Mika and Alo. Luka was quick enough to get a few shots in as his aim wasn't half bad, but with two people throwing snowballs at him, he quickly became dowsed in snow and started running away. Zhang instantly started following behind Luka since he was moving too far from their motel. Luka's speed quickly decreased from a run to a fast walk thanks to his full stomach, and when he felt it was best to turn around, he slipped on a large section of ice. Reacting quickly, Zhang lunged forward and caught Luka, taking most of the fall with his own body.

Both men were surprisingly breathless from the fall, and Luka laid on top of Zhang's chest for a little while. Thinking Luka had hurt himself, Zhang patted Luka's back tenderly while asking.

"Are you okay, Luka?"

The facade Luka had been forcing the entire evening suddenly cracked, and he couldn't stop his eyes filling with tears. When Luka pushed himself to look Zhang in the eyes, his tears fell down and landed against Zhang's cheeks. Luka didn't want to show how much he had been hurt by Zhang because he trusted his own feelings, whether they were only because he is young or because they are real. Without wiping his crying eyes, Luka confessed to Zhang with a shaky voice.

"I promise I'm not a child, Zhang. I really do like you and I won't regret it."

Seeing how upset Luka had become, Zhang couldn't stop a lump from forming in his throat, and he cursed himself for not properly explaining his thoughts to Luka. From down the road, Mika and Alo could be heard laughing and screaming as they continued with their snowball fight, but Zhang felt it was best for him and Luka to head inside. Without saying anything to Luka, Zhang stood up with Luka still in his arms and carried the sniffling young man back to the motel. When Alo saw the two of them, he figured Zhang was finally going to speak with Luka, and he nodded towards the young man with encouragement, before quickly running back to Mika who was trying to create a snowball the size of his head.

Once inside the inn, the temperature change was almost shocking, and Zhang only now realised just how cold it was outside. To keep Luka from getting sick, Zhang walked up the stairs quickly and entered Luka's bedroom, helping the young man change into warm dry clothes. By the time Luka was being tucked into bed, he was exhausted and fighting the urge to fall asleep. He had a feeling Zhang had been wanting to say something, and he watched as Zhang sat on the ground against the side of the bed, looking towards the door. Zhang would be lying if he said he wasn't nervous about finally speaking with Luka, especially since the young man was still quite drunk, and he wasn't sure if Luka would remember everything the next day. Although there was a chance Luka wouldn't remember, Zhang bit the bullet and started explaining in a low voice.

"I should've told you this earlier, Luka but it's a little hard for me. When I told you that I believed you would end up regretting being with me, it wasn't actually because I thought you were too young. It is... because of what happened to my sister...ever since she went missing I've had trouble allowing myself to get close to someone...in case they end up disappearing or something worse."