7- Icarus

I woke up in my hut, although I don't remember getting out of the tree. All I remember is hugging Reg. Either way, it doesn't matter, so I pull myself up and grab my canteen, take a drink, and splash my face to wake me up. I change into some of my brother's old gray cargo pants, my mom's green skintight short sleeve shirt that tucks into the pants, my gray jacket, and survival crossbody bag and belt. I still feel like something is missing, but what is it?

My dad's dog tags.

For a second I panic. How could I be so foolish to lose them? But then I see them on the table next to my bed, I sigh in relief then quickly snatch them and put them on. I finish up by putting my accessories on my bag and belt. Katana, knife, two guns, my bow, a quiver full of arrows, a wound-up rope, a small jar of honey, some weird Iwi food that I don't question, and a few other things and then head out to fix the boat.

When I get down there it's around 5:30 and everyone except Nieves is there.

"Well good morning sleeping beauty," Calls Conrad as I hop on the boat. What time did he get up? The sun hasn't even gone over the horizon yet.

"Where is Nieves?" I say with a bitter tone to it.

"Probably doing his nails," Mason says. Everyone gets a good laugh out of that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a few hours of work, we are finally ready to test the boat. Reg down by the engine, Conrad by a lever, and be by a wheel. On Hanks count, we all do something that makes to boat sputter. I'm not a mechanic so I just do what I'm told which is to spin a wheel, simple enough for me. We do it again, but the boat just sputters louder and lets out a ball of smoke right in front of me.

"Are you okay Alex?" Conrad says as I take a step back from the smoke.

"Yea, yea," I say, but it's not convincing enough, so I take a step forward, "I'm fine. Let's just try again."

"Third times a charm," Reg yells before Hank counts down. And it sputters again, but this time it doesn't stop. It worked, it actually worked! We all celebrate, and Nieves hears and comes over to join us, pretending he did all the work. God, he is such a prick.

The Iwi come over and bow as we float away from the dock. Me and Hank bow back, and he says some things, I don't. I wasn't there as long as Hank. The bottom of the gate folds up enough for us to pass through and we are in open water.

We all sit back and relax, taking turns at the wheel, but it was mostly Hank and Conrad. Reg and I climb on top of the boat. Plane? Whatever that thing is, I climbed to the top and laid down listening to Hank talk about his wife.

"I have a son out there. Grown man I've never met."

"Yeah," Reg says sighing while looking down. "She definitely thinks you're dead, man."

I clear my throat loudly and look at him with a warning.

"I'm just saying..." Reg tries to defend himself, but I elbow him in the stomach hard and you hear an audible oof.

"You'd be surprised how long people wait," Conrad says, a hint of sadness in his voice. At that, I look down, because I didn't wait long before giving up on my mother and brother.

"The truth is, I don't expect them to be waiting," Hank says, and I still don't look up. "That will be fine either way. I just want one last chance to see them. That would be good enough for me."

"We're gonna get you home," Mason says walking over to him, then she looks at me and smiles weakly. "Both of you."

And with that, the sun was starting to set. "Guys we should probably dock on the shore and sleep in the forest."