♀the girl who danced

Start from the beginning

I glance at the clock when I notice that the noise levels in this place have decreased drastically. The large hand at the number ten, the smaller at the seven, my eyes widen as I leap up from the couch. "We're nearly late, we've got to get going," I announce.

Cedric and I had arranged to meet just outside the Gryffindor common room and to walk to the Great Hall together. Seeing Harry and Cho together is much better than seeing the two of them individually. As for Hermione from my understanding she's meeting Viktor just outside the hall. Since the two of us are each attending with a champion, we're expected to enter formally alongside them. I haven't decided how I feel about this yet. The thought of everybody's eyes staring me down leaving me so vulnerable to judgement definitely is a tad unnerving. However, it's also a chance to spark a Cinderella moment as I walk into the ball with Prince Charming on my side.

The moment the portrait door swings open, I'm met with the sight of Cedric, he stands patiently awaiting our arrival. The boy looks dashing. Just incredibly handsome. So much so that I can foresee the looks of envy I'll surely be receiving all night.

Cedric gives me the same once over that I gave him. "Wow," he breathes. His stare lingers and I begin to feel extremely nervous until he shakes his head quickly as if snapping him out of a trance and return his eyes to mine. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to stare," he apologizes genuinely. "You just, you look stunning."

A smile breaks out onto my face. "Thank you," I reply unintentionally laughing most likely a product of my uncharacteristic shyness I'm experiencing. "You look very nice yourself."

I immediately regret my word choices. Nice? Really, y/n, nice? Clearly I haven't a clue as to how one is suppose to compliment a boy. How even does one compliment a boy?

Thankfully he flashes me his trademark boyish smile. "Thank you," he says before his face lights up with a look of realization. "Here, I brought this for you."

I hadn't even noticed he had been carrying anything, my attention to detail being thrown aside as I got distracted by his hair, his eyes, his smile. Cedric steps forward, gently placing a beautiful, striking red rose corsage onto my left wrist. All I can do it stare at its beauty as I take a few seconds to process the gesture.

"You didn't have to," I say truthfully. "Thank you, Cedric. It's beautiful."

This boy is really challenging my 'just friends' comment from before. How easy it would be for me to fall in love with him. A true gentleman, a real looker, thoughtful, the perfect guy.

But I know and I feel it deep down in my heart that's not how things are supposed to play out for the two of us.

Now very much pushing our time, we have to speed walk towards the Great Hall immersed in conversation the entire time. I feel relieved that I don't have to endure the awkwardness Hermione feels she'll have to face, that even though Cedric and I have only spoken on a few occasions, we're able to talk as if we've known each other for years.

I pause as we reach the staircase that leads to the clearing just outside of the hall. I don't mean to stop, but my mind seems to remember the first attempt at walking down stairs in heels and my bruised up knees begin to ache.

"Are you okay," Cedric asks to which I nod.

"I am," I reply not so confidently. "Stairs seem to have a vendetta against me in heels so unless you want your date to walk in there with a broken neck or something, you're going to have to help me."