♂ the boy who stared

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
_____________________

"𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐨𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐤𝐞𝐲 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐬𝐠𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠

"𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐨𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐤𝐞𝐲 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐬𝐠𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠."
_____________________

I have been laying here on one of the common room couches for what I assume to be hours now. Among returning to the castle I'd quickly ran up to my dorm in which I'd wanted nothing more than to barricade myself in for the weekend wallowing in self pity and regret. Unfortunately for me however, Ron and I had made our pact to return to the common room tonight with dates. Seeing as he has yet to return, I'm forced to wait up for him.

I'd grabbed the golden egg from my dorm and brought it down with me, hoping that this godforsaken Triwizard Tournament would for once play to my favor and aid in distracting me from my overthinking and take my mind off of my earlier actions that led to me letting the girl that I had been fighting for for the past three years slip from my grasp. However, all it does is lay on my chest, the light of the flames bouncing off it and causing the egg to shine so brightly it's nearly blinding.

y/n often mentions things about 'her thoughts being too loud' or 'her mind being too full for her own good.' I've never fully understood or rather experienced what she meant until this very moment. The quiet atmosphere of the room contrasts wildly to the rioting within my head, my brain overwhelmed with all of the 'what if's' and 'why didn't I' and worst yet the last few hours replaying in my mind on an endless loop each time I hear her breaking up with me leaving me as heavy-hearted as the last.

A sudden bursting through the door followed by a series of footsteps and voices causes me to jump, nearly losing my egg to the fire from the startle. I frantically move to catch it before sitting upright and turning to see a group of girls, most of which friends of Ginny if I'm not mistaken, surrounding Ron and guiding him into the room.

"It's alright, Ron," Ginny comforts him gently, cautiously. "It's okay, Ron."

The boy looks as though he's seen a ghost. His face is pale, legs are shaking. He's in a state of shock. If it weren't for Ginny and another girl holding him up, I'm certain he'd collapse.

"What happened to you?" I ask, making my way over my best friend, concerned.

Hermione and y/n, who I hadn't even known to be in the common room rush over as well and I grow very aware that they had most likely seen my moping in front of the fire for the past hour or so.

Ron seems incapable of answering my question so I turn my gaze to Ginny who just shakes her head at the three of us. "He just asked Fleur Delacour out."