Intruder

I open my eyes and see the TV stopped playing the show Peter and I were watching. When I look over, Peter is still sat up against the headboard with his head to the side, fast asleep.

Quietly, I walk out and into the kitchen, I don't remember the last time I ate, so I'm starving. When I get there, I look through the cupboards and try to find something to snack on.

"Y/n?" I hear and jump up. When I turn around I see Bucky sitting on the couch in the dark, he must have been sleeping because I didn't notice him.

"What are you doing out here? Don't you have a bedroom?" I ask.

"I do but I just thought it was a little far away from yours, so I wanted to sleep here to stay close to you." He says and I smile.

"Oh, okay. Thank you." I whisper and he nods. "There's nothing to eat here and I'm starving."

"It's late but I'm sure there's a McDonald's open if you want to go." He suggests and I smile.

"Yes please."

He gets up and we walk to the garage. Typically, I'm sure he'd ride his bike, but since it's night and a bit chilly, he got a car instead.

We drive into the city and it's a dead zone. Normally, even late at night, there's a ton of people walking the streets. It's the perfect time between late night people and earlier bird people.

We get to McDonald's and he orders me fries and a drink. Once we finish and pay he hands it to me and we head back to the compound.

"Thank you for taking me." I say eating the fries.

"You're welcome." He says and keeps driving.

The drive was quiet, probably because we're both tired. We're almost back to the compound when Bucky notice a car following us with its lights off to be less obvious.

"That car is being weird. I think they're following us." He says and I turn around to look. Since it's so dark, I can't tell the make or model.

"What if it's those people again? They must have been watching the compound and saw us leave." I say and look at Bucky.

"You're right." Bucky says and starts to drive a little faster. "Friday, please see if anyone's awake and if not wake someone up."

"She's in the cars too?" I ask and Bucky smiles.

"Yeah it surprised me too."

"Mr. Barnes, Steve is awake and said he will help." Friday says through the speakers.

Bucky grabs his phone and calls Steve. They must have discussed a plan, because the conversation was a little long. Finally, Bucky hung up and gripped the wheel tighter.

"Alright. Steve is going to cut them off." Bucky says and I grab my seatbelt to tighten it.

Just as we were almost to the compound, I see another car driving very fast straight for us. It doesn't slow down, instead it gets fast and faster.

I look at Bucky and he's just staring at it.

"Bucky?" I say wondering why he's not getting out of that cars way.

"Bucky!" I shout just before we head on crash with that other car.

Bucky whips the steering wheel letting the car past us and to the car behind us. There's a loud crash and I gasp at the sight of it behind us.

"Bucky, was that Steve!" I shout and keep looking at the explosion getting further away.

"No. Yes? He was using Friday to drive it. He's fine at the compound." Bucky says now that he's not focused on saving us anymore.

I take a sigh of relief and chuckle. Bucky is crazy, but it was funny. When we get back to the compound, we watch the garage door shut, making sure no one slips underneath.

When we get back to the kitchen I turn to Bucky with a smile. He looks down at me and I embrace him in a hug.

"Can I stay out here with you?" I ask and he smiles and nods.

We both sit on the couch and I lay down, putting my head on his lap. As I stare into the dark room I can't help but slowly close my eyes and fall asleep.

The next morning, I wake up and Bucky is still asleep with my head on his lap. It must be early, because Bucky is always awake before me. I slowly sit up and stretch a bit.

Almost as soon as I move, Bucky wakes up and looks at me. I can tell he's tired, which is my fault for making him go out so late.

"Sorry I didn't mean to wake up." I whisper to Bucky.

"It's alright." He says and wipes his face with his hands.

"Thank you for last night." I say and he smiles. "I'm going to my room, you can go to yours too. I'll be okay. Peter is in there." I say and stand up.

Bucky smiles and gets up to go to his bedroom. I hug him then turn around and go back to my room. Peter is still sleeping in the same spot he was when I left. I slowly crawl under the covers and watch him breath slowly.

Before I know it, I'm almost asleep, but then an alarm starts blaring through the compound. Peter jumps up and I open my eyes. The noise is ear piercing.

"Intruder. West entrance." Friday says repeatedly.

I turn and look at Peter with fear in my eyes. He stands up and looks out the hallway. Nat is already in the hallway too.

"Wait here." Peter says and is about to run out of my room.

"No! You can't leave me!" I shout and he stops to think.

"They might need help. You'll be safe here. Just lock the door behind me and I'll come back to get you once it's safe." He says and comes to me still sitting on the bed.

I have tears in my eyes because someone is trying to break in to the one place I feel safe. Peter holds my face and smiles at me.

"It'll be fine. Wait here. I promise I'll come back." He says and kisses my head before running out the door.

I jump up and lock the door behind him. Slowly, I back away and sit on the edge of the bed, waiting for him to come back like he promised he would.