t w e n t y f o u r

Start from the beginning

It would be an omission if I weren't to admit that his being here, this elaborate scheme has set a fire burning inside me. Knowing how he is within my reach, yet unattainable. Knowing that only hours before, the pair of us has been cuddled and kissing under this very roof, and my parents, Eason¸ are blissfully unaware. That, and the simple fact he looks undeniably attractive, still Kian, even in a three-piece suit. Never more have I wanted to kiss him quite as much as now.

"You will be fitted soon, will you not Allora?" At the call of my name, I pull my gaze away from him, focusing half-heartedly on Devyn.

"Hm?" I manage to respond. I can all but feel the embarrassment radiating off of my father, but Devyn does not let my ignorance stump her.

"Your wedding dress." She tells me.

"Oh." My mood sinks as I catch Kian leaving the dining room. "I am still yet to decide on a dress. It is the single best day of my life, after all. I want to look perfect." She smiles sweetly at my and my fathers posture relaxes, so I figure that I must've appeased him somewhat. "I'm planning to begin looking properly next week. With my mother's help – and Lady Esha's."

"You will look breathtaking, no matter what it is you wear." She compliments, letting her eyes skim over my current attire, most of it hidden beneath the table. "I mean, I know of no other that could suit such a colour." She adds with a sincere smile, before returning her attention to her meal.

My attention diverts too, back on to the man that re-enters the dining room, standing waiting in the corner for his next call of service. "Allora; you have not touched your food." My father points out. I almost amend his statement and admit that I am yet to even pick up my fork, but I opt against it.

"No. I'm not awfully hungry." I say, tentatively stabbing a roasted carrot and bringing it to my lips, my eyes still fixed on Kian. "I had a large lunch."

Conversation proceeds, though I don't pay much attention. The common topic is that of my wedding, and when I am acknowledged, I simply smile or nod. Eason pays me little regard, and for that I am exceptionally thankful, because otherwise, he would most certainly see that I have not split my focus from Kian, not even once.

"Excuse me," Hernan clicks his fingers in Kian's direction demandingly. "Please will you retrieve another bottle of wine – perhaps an '87 Lafite." Kian's eyes widen slightly, seeking my assistance. He doesn't have access to the wine cellar, and if anyone is to notice that, his cover is most certainly blown.

"Certainly Sir," he replies, walking slowly towards the exit. I clear my throat, laying down my cutlery and smile at those seated at the table.

"If you'll excuse me for a moment," I say, standing abrubtly and ironing the creases of my dress with clammy palms.

"Where are you going?" My father asks haughtily.

I lift my brows in his direction pointedly, lowering my voice slightly. "The restroom father." I answer swiftly. He nods, as though offering me his approval, and then I hurry out of the room, following Kian. He's easy to locate, dawdling in the hallway, looking for any sign of where to wine cellar might be. I grasp his wrist, pulling us both in the right direction, and with my identification, lock us both in the cellar. "What in the heavens were you thinking?" I snap at him, ensuring my voice remains at a whisper, scared for any listening ears.

"Well, I wanted to see you." He answers nonchalantly, browsing the wine isles by fluttering his fingers across the shelves. "Lafite, Lafite." He mutters, his face scrunched in distaste.

"You're positively insane." I challenge, quickly finding the wine myself, and handing it to him forcefully. "You risk so much sneaking here unawares, yet it is not enough? You though it logical to cater to my family, and those twice as prestigious, with sparse knowledge of protocol?"