t h r e e

A man of perhaps twenty two or twenty three, sits on a stocky tree branch, one that bows slightly beneath his weight

A man of perhaps twenty two or twenty three, sits on a stocky tree branch, one that bows slightly beneath his weight. He looks down on me, flashing a lopsided grin as I stare. I'm sure he speaks again, but I'm hardly listening, too dumbfounded by the fact he's hanging from a tree like some sort of primate. Words fail me so instead, I gape at him.

I know instantly that he is unwelcomed here. He is no guest, based on his less than acceptable attire. A button down shirt – one worn casual by ignorance to half of the buttons, exposing his chest and the fine hair that scatters it – and his pants are more combat wear, with multiple pockets trailing either side and the baggy fit being wrinkled and torn along the legs. His face is one of a stranger too, so certainly not staff. If he was staff, I'd have him sacked immediately. What sort of neanderthal spends his time settled on a tree branch?

He's still grinning, exposing his teeth, his head tilted as he observes me with interest, letting his dark, unruly hair fall astray over his forehead. It tickles his eyebrows but is still cropped short enough to allow his warm honey eyes to be seen, stealing away all of my attention. I care little for his stubbled jaw or his prominent cheekbones or his crooked, broken nose, because his eyes capture me instantaneously, what with their unnerving beauty.

"Seen enough princess?" He muses with a humoured tone. I shake my head, recollecting myself from my reverie and then I frown at him.

"How did you get in here?" I snap, not daring to let my eyes fall from him in case he tries to escape. Clearly, he's unaware that this is trespassing, or is arrogant enough to believe he can get away with it.

"Why," he grins, shuffling his body so that his back is rested against the tree trunk, his legs astride on either side of the solid branch he sits on. "You looking for a way out?"

I scowl at him then, edging forward so I can see him through the shadows, despite my mind screaming in resistance. I have no idea what this man might be capable of. He could be a reprobate, a rogue. Someone whose level is so low, it's irredeemable. However, perhaps it wouldn't be entirely false to say that I'm intrigued by him. I've never mixed with anyone, staff excluded, below my own level. I've never been this close to a normal civilian. He looks far different from anyone I've ever seen before.

I hoist up the skirt of my dress in both hands, careful not to trample on the trailing hem as I climb further up the incline, despite it being unventured terrain. He watches me with intensity, that boyish grin never once leaving his face.

"You know, I ought to call on security right now and have you arrested." I point out, my dress still bunched in my hands, my elbows stuck out for balance as I carefully watch my footing.

"Seems you're out here on your own princess. Go fetch them if you want, but I'll be long gone by then." It sounds like he's gloating. The idea of being arrested doesn't scare him. How outlandish.