05.

Wednesdays were Asha's busiest days out of the week

Wednesdays were Asha's busiest days out of the week. Her schedule started at 7am to get her to her eight o'clock Media Law and Ethics class that lasted for two and a half hours. It was lengthy because they met once a week, but Asha wasn't too bothered by the inconvenience because she loved the professor and enjoyed the material. Like today's task was to read three articles within thirty minutes and find the ethical flaws. She'd gotten the reading done last night after she received a notification that they were posted. It wasn't like she was doing anything other than watching tv, so she completed the readings and took notes.

Now that the professor was giving them time to read the articles, she scrolled along Amazon. She wasn't looking for anything specific but she knew something would catch her eye whether she needed it or not. Within twenty minutes, everyone was ready to discuss the reading and Asha purchased a new shelf for her room and a color changing humidifier.

"Let's talk about the baseball article first. Were there any unethical decisions made and if so, what were they." the professor sat on the edge of his desk.

Asha quickly raised her hand and he pointed at her, "The press' decision to release the fan's name and where he worked was both unprofessional and unethical. As people in media one of our top priorities is to keep harm to a minimum and the press failed to do so. Sports fans are known to be reckless and the way he was talked about on social media should have been enough reason to keep his identity unknown. Better choices should have been made."

"Unethical? Sure, but I wouldn't say that it was unprofessional. We as the media are here to give the people the facts and truth. Yes, there are ways of doing it to keep people from being harmed but fans wanted to know who was responsible for their team's lose and the media gave it to them." a man from the other side of the room responded to Asha.

"But at what cost? Six squad cars had to barricade his home and he was even thought to be placed in a witness protection program. No one should have to deal with that over a game. Whether it's the Championship series or not. His name and place of work shouldn't have been published, period point blank."

"I wasn't aware of that part."

"You shouldn't have to be. There are numerous outcomes to every situation and the harassment he faced on his way out of the game alone was enough to know releasing his name would do damage to his life."

"You're right." the man gave her a nod. She nodded back because she knew she was.

The conversation was pushed forward to allow further discussion on the other two readings. But once the floor really opened up for conversation and minor debates, time sped by. One of the main reasons Asha loved her major was her opinionated classmates. All of her classes involved a debate because everyone had something to say and would speak on it whether it was warranted or not. It came with the desire to be in Public Relations. You had to be well-spoken, aware, detail oriented, clear and honest. That always led to insightful debates and conversation when they were given the floor during lectures. Asha loved it.