Kabanata 52

Flame

Napahilot na lang ako ng sentido ko habang nilulunod ako ng sarili kong pag-iisip at kuro-kuro. I don't know what to believe anymore. Ni hindi ko alam kung ano ang nararapat kong gawin sa sitwasyon na mayroon ako ngayon. 

Ang aking inang reyna ay wala sa matinong pag-iisip at natutuliro na ito dahil sa propesiyang itinakdang mangyari na sinabi ni Flare sa araw mismo ng kasal niya. I can still remember the words she said. 

At midnight in the presence of the red moon, one of your children will visit you in your chambers and snatch your heart from your chest and watch you bleed to death. 

Mariin kong naipikit ang mga mata ko. Ang malamyos ngunit nambabantang boses nito'y tila ba isang anghel na nagbibigay ng nakakahindik na balita't nagdudulot ito ng pananayo ng balahibo ko. 

And the king will commit suicide for failing to protect his queen right in front of his loyal subjects of this cursed continent. 

I can still remember her cold eyes. Her stares scream authority, her formidable aura that could make anyone bow down their heads and kneel. It was the first time I saw her mad yet still calm and composed. 

She never lets her anger muddle her thinking. 

"Are you thinking about her?" Naimulat ko ang mata ko nang magsalita ang aking kapatid. Tumayo ako mula sa pagkakaupo't naglakad patungo sa terrace ng palasyo. 

I can see everything from here. Tanaw na tanaw ko rito ang buong bayan at ang kagubatan na nakapalibot dito. Everything looks peaceful na para bang walang papalapit na digmaan. 

"I don't know what to think anymore, Leri." Sinandal ko ang magkabilang braso ko sa teresa ng palasyo habang pinagsaklob ang magkabilang kamay ko.  

What is moral and what is immoral? Should I choose the truth that is moral or the unpleasant lie that is needed to do to preserve my family's dignity? 

Panganay ako. I should always look for my siblings and strive to keep our family's honor and dignity intact. Hindi ako maaaring gumawa ng desisyon na ikakadungis ng rangal ng aming dugo at pamilya. I cannot disgrace my own family. 

However, I cannot take everyone's life on this continent as a sacrifice to restore my family's reputation. 

"Mother and Father only did what is needed to be done. They have no choice." I shook my head. They have a choice. People always have two choices to choose in life. 

"They did what is needed. It's a word used for possession. They have to do what they should do, not what is needed to do for their own good." Umalis ako mula sa pagkakasandal sa teresa't napahilot na lang ng sentido. 

She went silent after hearing what I said. She knew the truth. Kahit hindi nila sabihin sa amin ang totoo ay hindi kami utak talangka upang hindi malaman ang totoong sitwasyon. Every truth that was unfolded that day was like a bomb that made everyone's mind chaotic and confused. 

"The red moon is three days from now." I reminded her. 

If the curse that Flare cast upon them will happen, one of the three of us might end up killing our own mother and father. 

"How's Freed?" Tanong ko. Hinarap ko siya't nakita ko rin ang pagkukunot ng noo niya na animo'y namomroblema rin sa maaring mangyari dahil sa itinakdang sumpa na 'yon. 

"He's fine for the time being. The royal doctors are keeping an eye on his condition." Sabay kaming napabuntong-hininga. 

It's between the both of us. We are the only one who's capable of doing harm on mother. That's why we decided to get chained up in the dungeon for that night. Mother will be surrounded and guarded by skilled knights.