Chapter Forty One

Start from the beginning

From the top of the hill, through the dark shadows of the trees, a pack of six chocolate brown wolves sprinted through the forest towards Alo's group. Their loud growls echoed through the forest before they all lunged forward to attack. Zhang was still in the centre of the fight, countless tigers surrounding him, both dead and alive. His arms had grown heavy from the constant fighting but he didn't back down. While Zhang kicked another tiger away from his body, a tiger jumped him from behind, pushing him to the ground. Zhang let out a loud shout of pain when he felt sharp teeth sink into his forearm, but before any more damage could be done, a brown wolf jumped forward and bit into the beast's neck, killing it instantly. Despite the new pack of wolves being smaller than Kang's wolves and the tigers by a full head, they were nimble and quick. Alo was also tiring because of the constant tigers coming for him and Nakai, and he slashed across the air with his knife but missed his target, earning him three deep cuts across his side. Switching hands, Alo was able to fend off the large tiger by switching the knife to his other hand, slicing across the white tiger's nose before a brown wolf jumped in and finished the job.

It didn't take long before the numbers of the tigers finally dwindled before none were left, only corpses. Blood covered every inch of white snow around them, leaving the area to hold a strong stench of metallic blood. Alo's side was bleeding heavily and he clutched his side with a grimace, limping back to his carriage. Zhang limped after Alo while taking his shirt off to hold against the bite wound on his arm. While Alo and Zhang went to check on the two minks, Nakai dropped his guns into his bag before pulling Wang Bao out of the carriage. Nakai used Wang Bao's finger to swipe over his armour cuff before looking over Wang Bao's injuries. His body was fine, but there was a deep gash on the side of his forehead leaking out a constant stream of blood. Nakai searched around for a clean section of snow, but the entire ground that wasn't covered in dead tigers was red. If Wang Bao hadn't been bleeding so profusely, Nakai would have waited to treat his wound, but Wang Bao was still unconscious with no signs of waking up. After Nakai scooped up some of the reddish pink snow, he pressed it against Wang Bao's head; the cold helped congeal the blood and it wasn't long before Wang Bao finally opened his eyes.

In the distance, the brown wolves changed into their human form in order to talk with Kang's wolf who had already changed. While everyone wrapped a wide cloth around their waists, a tall olive skinned woman with long flowing hair led her pack. Once they were close enough to converse, the leader of the grey wolves bowed deeply before saying seriously.

"Thank you for responding. We noticed the tigers a few kilometres back but we thought they would stop their chase once we came onto your territory."

The woman had a stern look in her eyes while she responded.

"We noticed them a few days ago but before we could attack, they ran off. We thought they would have left for good, but we didn't expect them to actually attack on our land."

The woman looked around with a sharp gaze once she finished talking, and she quickly saw Zhang and Alo were tending to their wounds by their carriage while Nakai was carrying Wang Bao over to them. She peered at the odd group with dark eyes before turning back to the grey wolf she had been talking to, speaking in a darker voice than earlier.

"It is rare for the head tribe to escort outsiders, what is the meaning behind this?"

The man looked straight ahead at the woman without altering his expression, but inside he was torn on whether or not he should say. With a stern look from the woman in front of him, he gritted his teeth while saying.

"They helped our tribe find Lani...Kang has given them permission to travel this area and we are to make sure they get to where they need to safely."

He watched as the woman's face darkened more before she stormed over to Nakai and Alo. Nakai had already sat Wang Bao inside the carriage with Luka and Mika who were busy dressing themselves under the blanket; Wang Bao's head was throbbing from the cut and he felt kind of woozy, but he tried his best to fight it off. Outside the carriage, Alo and Zhang were standing with Nakai, both of them shirtless as they had their wounds treated. Nakai slathered on cream without much care for tenderness and the two men groaned in pain; as Nakai's hands moved mercilessly, he could hear somebody stomping through the stained snow. Because of the loud aggressive way the person was walking, Nakai knew they weren't part of Kang's group, and he spoke in a dull voice without turning around.