12 - Aftercare and Plans

Trigger warnings: Mentions of suicidal thoughts,

I muted the TV and strained to listen to the conversation. My legs were still wobbly and if I tried to stand up I'd probably fall over.

"Hotch. What's wrong?" Who was Hotch? Emily had never mentioned him before. Was he an ex? Her father? "I can't come and help you. I'm sorry. I wish I could".

I could hear her sigh before responding again. "I'm sorry. I can't help you. I have to go. I'll see JJ later and if it's that important, she can tell me. Bye Hotch".

I listened for the footsteps and when she started to get closer to the closed bedroom door, I unmuted the TV.

"Sorry Baby. I'm back". She pulled me into her arms and held me close.

"Is everything okay Em?" Emily kissed my forehead a few times.

"It sure is Baby. That was just my boss from the FBI telling me that they were struggling to find the unsub for this case and they were asking for my help". She bit her nails and I assumed it was one of her nervous habits.

"What's wrong Em? You're not okay". I held my hand out and she gripped it tightly.

"They need a languages expert so they asked me to go in and see what I can do to help, but I left for a reason and I don't want to risk it happening". I stroked my thumb over the back of her hand.

"Why did you leave Em? If you don't want to talk about it, that's okay". She kissed my forehead and helped me sit up to face her. This was clearly an important conversation.

"I was becoming reckless with my life. It wasn't that I wanted to die, but if I did die, it wouldn't bother me. Does that make sense?" I nodded and Emily continued talking. "I recognised that my behaviour was becoming more erratic so I retired before something catastrophic could happen". I leaned over and kissed Emily's lips lightly.

"I'm glad that you were able to recognise what was happening and I'm glad that you're here now". I could see the tears building in Emily's eyes.

"I'm glad that I'm here too Baby. I got to meet you". I smiled and wiped away the tears that had started falling down Emily's face. "God, we're so sweet and sickly".

"I don't care. You're my girlfriend. I'm allowed to be mushy and sweet with you". I looked at Emily and made eye contact with her. She made me feel so happy inside, always but I couldn't tell her that yet. I was falling in love and there was nothing I could do to stop it happening.

—————

My legs were still extremely shaky when I tried to get out of the bed a few minutes later. Emily stood next to me when I tried to stand and she caught me when I fell over. Her arms were so warm and soft.

"You should stay in bed Baby. Let me do whatever you need". Instead of helping me walk to the kitchen like I was planning, Emily pulled the covers of the bed back and she made me get back into the bed.

I tried to protest but she wasn't accepting it as an answer. Emily made me choose something to watch and I found my favourite TV show on her Netflix account. When I was halfway through my favourite episode, she handed me a plate of food and got back into bed with me.

She looked so perfect and at ease doing everyday tasks. I couldn't stop myself from blurting out "You're beautiful". It was better than the alternative I had in mind. I couldn't say 'I love you'. Not yet.

We stayed in bed all day watching movies, cuddling and spending time together. It was the most relaxing day I had experienced in a while. Being with Emily felt so natural and put me at ease. I couldn't describe it.

—————

5pm rolled around and Emily helped me stand at the side of the bed and try to walk a few steps. She kept her hand on my lower back from the bed to the door. It was only 5 or 6 steps but she was reluctant to leave my side. Once I had made it to the door, she removed her hand from my lower back and made me walk to the bathroom.

Admittedly, I had a limp but other than that I could walk just fine.

She leaned against the doorframe and I turned around to look at her once I reached the bathroom door.

"It looks like someone railed me really well last night". I winked at her and when she started to approach me, I rushed into the bathroom, slammed the door shut and locked it behind me.

"It looks like someone railed you really well last night because I did. I made sure to do my job properly". My mouth dropped open, not that Emily could see, and I had to fight myself to not give into Emily's teasing.

"I'm not sure you did Emily. I can still walk". Her fist banged on the door and she growled. The sound went straight to my core.

I could hear her laughter and her retreating footsteps before I could come up with a response.

—————

When I came out of the bathroom, Emily was standing in the kitchen so I wrapped my arms around her waist.

"Hi Baby. Do you feel like you could get a drink with me and JJ, or would you like to stay here and get some more rest?" I sighed against her shoulder.

"I'd like to go out with you if that's okay. I feel like I need to go somewhere. Do you know what I mean?" She rested her hands on top of mine.

"I know exactly what you mean Angel. You're more than welcome to come. I know JJ would love to get to know you and catch you up on all the drama that has happened recently". I squeezed Emily's hips and then told her I was going to put some clothes on.

—————

A/N - We're gonna get drinks and we're going to meet JJ, properly... 👀