Chapter 28

"You lose someone?" Steve asks, hitting a hard spot for you.

"My wingman, Riley. Flying a night mission, standard PJ rescue op, nothing we hadn't done a thousand times before, till RPG knock Riley's dumb ass out of the sky. Nothing I could do. It's like I was up there just to watch."

"I'm sorry."

"After that, I had really hard time finding a reason for being over there, you know?"

"I know better than anyone else" you tell him, remembering how both of your friends were thought to be dead in the war.

"But you're happy now, back in the world?" Steve asks Sam.

"Hey, the number of people giving me orders is down to about zero

"Hey, the number of people giving me orders is down to about zero. So, hell, yeah. You thinking about getting out?" Sam looked up to the blond super soldier as he asked the question.

"No, I don't know. To be honest, I don't know what I would do with myself if I did." Steve said and this was the first time you had heard him speak of getting out. All he ever wanted since you were both kids was to go out and fight the bullies.

"Ultimate fighting?" Sam jokes causing you both to laugh. "It's just a great idea off the top of my head. But seriously, you could do whatever you want to do. What makes you happy?"

 What makes you happy?"

"I don't know." Steve answers with honesty.

That night when you both returned to your apartment building you bumped into one of your neighbour's as she was leaving her apartment.

"Hey" Sharon nodded, holding a laundry basket in hand as she closed her door.

"Hi" you smiled and waved.

She was about to leave when she remembered something "Oh, I think you left your stereo on." She directed this note to Steve.

"Oh. Right, thank you." Steve nodded, turning to his door the end of the hall. She moved to go downstairs as you and Steve stood carefully, watching the door as faint music flowed into the hallway.

"Want back up captain Rodgers?" He nods in response. You make your way to your apartment next door and climb out of your window, jumping over to Steve's fire escape from yours, the two of you entered the apartment quietly. He picked up his shield and snuck through the place until he peaked around the corner to find Fury laying in his chair, the record player playing songs softly.