"You're welcome, my child. Stop being nervous. They're really nice people." She reassured me with a smile.

I was half shocked and half thankful, "Am I that obvious?" I asked and bit my lip in worry.

"Oh hush, you're going to formally meet them for the very first time so it's definite that you're a little...anxious." She smiled warmly at me once again and squeezed my hand.

"Now, off you go to your impatient and overbearing man." She sighed heavily and I giggled.

"What's so funny?" I heard his voice before I felt his presence behind me and I straightened up like a soldier.

"Nothing that concerns you. Stop poking your nose in our business." Layla scolded him with an eye roll.

I would have been surprised at the way she was conversing with him had I not witnessed it before but Layla had always treated him like that so I was used to the playful banter between the two.

"Keep talking like that to me and I will find a new cook." Darius threatened but the tone of his voice was anything but serious.

"Don't come crying to me when they end up poisoning your food." Layla sassed back and strutted inside the kitchen without waiting for his reply.

I smiled to myself and shook my head, "Goodbye, Layla."

"Goodbye, child." She shouted over her shoulder before disappearing from my line of vision.

A hand trailed down my arm and stopped when it reached my hand, "You took your time."

I bit my lip as I searched my brain for answers that were a little less embarrassing than letting him know that I had made several failed attempts to collect myself.

"My, uh, my hair took time." I answered quietly.

It was not a complete lie.

His other arm snaked around my waist and he turned me around to face him, "You look stunning." He complimented as his hand tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

I hid my face in his chest and it rumbled with a laugh as he gently stroked the back of my head and placed a chaste kiss on top of my hair.

"Let's go, they must be waiting for us." He said and I pulled away.

I noticed that he looked absolutely handsome in his white dress shirt which was tucked inside black formal pants.

We started to walk outside and I saw an SUV, which was loaded with guards, parked right in front of the gate. In front of that was a limousine and I frowned a little.

"Say it, Μικρό κορίτσι." He whispered and I gasped quietly.

(Little girl)

"Wh-nothing." I shook my head and pursed my lips.

"You don't have to bite your tongue around me."

"I, uh, isn't that too extra?" I asked quietly while I nodded my head towards the limo.

A chauffeur, dressed in an extremely fancy outfit, held open the door for Darius and I as soon as we reached it, and once we sat inside, he closed it shut.

"Everything's extra in our world, Eirene. Everything except our lives."

He sounded like a philosopher so I decided to keep my mouth shut for the rest of the journey.

I also noticed how his entire demeanor changed as soon as we stepped out of our house, his personality took a complete three sixty turn and he went from being playful to imperturbable and apathetic within a second.