Chapter 34: Beginning of the Hunt

Last night, during dinner, everyone was so tense that I found it hard to talk with them. It seems that my reliable brother had delivered the news. That said, trapped in my room I was, I never uncovered what actions they exactly took.

However, if I were to guess, they must be making sure that everyone in the palace was to be trusted. In addition, I also heard from Mera yesterday that my father, the King, left the palace. I asked Mera where he could have gone, but she had no answer.

I wonder where he went. But I'm impressed they acted immediately when they heard of my predicament. Good.

Now the seeds of my soon to be meatshields and assistance had been planted and ready to be reaped, I am now to focus on my own self for a while.

"Milady, everyone seems so tense for some reason today."

As we were heading back to my room after taking a bath, Mera spoke to me with a concerned voice.

I had no intention to tell her of the situation, she could offer no help whatsoever after all. And my family hadn't told anyone else what was happening, so I am not intending to intervene. Even so, Mera will have some uses at any point.

I acted clueless about it.

"Is that so? Have you heard anything about why?"

"I only heard about his Majesty leaving yesterday, and his Highness the Prince gathering the knights."

Hm, it seems my brother started at a place he had the most influence on. But I think the knights had the lowest chance of any internal threat. There was also a chance that the stranger's words were word plays, or there were indeed infiltrators, but couldn't be in the palace.

I am lacking information.

A high chance of infiltrators would be amongst the guards which were commoners. They could easily be hired, or the enemy could use that method to infiltrate and spy in the palace, keeping track of my movements.

But why was it the enemy has yet to make their move?

Was infiltrating the palace that difficult? Or eliminating me? Was there something that limits their movements? Or that stranger was indeed keeping those who threatened my life away from me?

Were the enemies observing for a while? A possibility. Perhaps waiting for the opportune moment, or they were still gathering information themselves.

The prophecy the stranger mentioned came to my mind.

He said it changed. How many knew of that so-called prophecy? My enemies likely knew of it. Was the reason they have yet to make their move was because they were startled by my arrival, thus resulting in Estelia's survival? Making them more cautious about their actions and coming up ways to understand the situation.

They might be very careful in making their decisions.

And here I am, so feeble and weak that I can imagine that a single magic could squash me.

How frustrating.

I arrived in my room.

"Wait for me here."

"Yes, milady."

I closed the door.

This should have been easier if the bath was just on the other side of the room, and if I could dress on my own. But alas, I am a princess. They would just reject my request to let me dress myself anyways if the bath was just one door away.

In any case, I have a good purpose coming here.

I kneeled beside the bed, and reached my hand under, grabbing the bag.