Chapter 14: Sword Magic (2)

He brought me to the sidelines, and there a chair was offered to me. I gracefully took my seat, my maid behind me while my brother stood beside me.

"I will be the one guarding you, dear sister. We have to be careful of any stray attacks."

I nodded my head.

They called a pair of knights, then they stood several meters away from each other. They drew their swords and waited for Brother to declare the start of the match. I focused my eyes. Their stance, the way they gripped their two handed swords, I observed them.

"Begin!"

Then with that, the match began. The knights charged towards each other. However, I was taken off guard.

What the fuck?

Their steps, the speed of their legs were abnormal. They were fast, abnormally, and bullshitty fast. It only took them about a second to have each other in the reaches of their blades.

In an instant, their blades clashed. Their normal attack only lasted for a couple more attacks before their blades began to glow. I squinted my eyes to keep up what was happening. Their swords clashed again, and a gust of wind blew from them towards all directions, even reaching me.

I grew cold as I watched.

One knight was being pushed, so he backed away, giving themselves some space. But immediately after that, he slashed his sword in the air, and violent flames came forth, heading towards his opponent.

What the fuck?!

I was bewildered and stunned. This was different from the plain light that I saw just before. I was becoming more worried. The knight on the receiving end of those flames thrust his left hand forward, and a blast of frost crashed into the flames, spreading it away. I could feel the faint coldness from where I was.

Just as the flames were dissipating away, the knight who casted the frost rushed forward with quick steps. The blades of the two knights once again crashed into each other, but this time, both sending a strong gust of cold wind as they both emanated cold magic.

Then at the same time, they let go of one hand from their swords and thrust forward. This time a plain light spread from their hands and crashed into them, sending the both of them flying away from each other. But in mid air, they regained their footing.

I bit my lip.

Bullshit! Is this the standard of this world?!

Ridiculous! If I fight someone who can cast magic head on, I'll die. I have no chance of winning. Fighting would only be suicide. In other words, my fighting skills in this world would be worthless in the face of those who use magic.

If I were to face someone capable of using the damn thing, then I need to take them by surprise. They must not anticipate my attack at all. I must take them out silently, or make them lower their guard, then launch my surprise strike. And that strike must be an absolutely decisive one. The one that will surely kill them. Otherwise, they would be able to take me out like a puppy barking against a lion.

Furthermore, I must not remain stagnant.

I must also learn this so-called magic. I have to be able to use it so I can stand up against anyone who could use it as well. That way, if I had no choice but to face them head on, I can at least give some resistance and defend myself, or defeat the enemy.

The two knights clashed again, their magic going wild.

I recalled what I learned from my academic lessons, or rather, lessons of Estelia before I came. Nobility had greater magic affinity than commoners. In addition, they also had greater amounts of mana. I was ignorant about how great magic was, but now its power was slapped into my precious face.