Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

"The snow has picked up again and soon the trail for going down the mountain will be too hard to travel. Zhang said earlier that he wanted to return to the Valley to see Ala's progress. Maybe they could use something to shovel the snow away, and we can get the people out of here quicker."

Alo shook his head in disapproval before answering.

"On a good day, the trip takes one day but with this weather, there's no way of knowing how long it would take."

Zhang quickly spoke up even though he knew Alo wouldn't agree.

"It will only take a day if I leave in my beast form."

Alo shook his head again but with serious disapproval, it was clear he had had a similar conversation with Zhang before as he narrowed his eyes at the young man, speaking in an almost fatherly tone.

"I told you last night, you need to take a break from using your beast form. Travelling for a whole day will take its toll on your body and you'll need to go into hibernation. What good are you if all you can do is sleep the winter away?"

Everyone sat quietly after seeing Alo become so serious. Zhang, Nakai and Alo knew that the animals would soon stop trailing the mountain because of the weather, and even if they rationed the food, they could only survive two weeks at the most. Wang Bao spoke up after giving some things a thought, though he wasn't sure how well it would work.

"Why can't the people here all change into their beast form? Wouldn't everyone then be able to make the trip in one day?"

Alo shook his head along with Nakai and Zhang, before explaining in a lighter tone than a few seconds earlier.

"The Werebeasts here are all native to different countries; some of these countries are from areas that have no snow or cold like this. If we let everyone travel in their beast form, alot of them wouldn't make it."

With no conclusions made, Nakai left for the stable to bring in another few bird beasts for lunch. Wang Bao was getting sick of soup and decided to make roast bird sandwiches. Because Wang Bao wasn't great at baking, Nakai helped make enough loaves to last a few days. By the end of the day, Nakai had baked so much bread, he smelt of yeast. By night time, Mika and Luka were also sick of sleeping on the sofa. While Zhang took care of the fireplaces in the living room and upstairs, Alo dismantled the dining room table and placed the table top behind the sofa; with the extra space in the room, Alo was able to pitch his tent where the dining room had been. The tent was a four person tent, but for Mika and Luka, it was like a small burrow for them. To add some more confort, Alo went outside with an empty wooden crate they had been using to hold firewood, and brought back a large mound of hay. The hay was covered with the sheet they had been using on the sofa, before a large blanket was placed on top.

Wang Bao couldn't help but be envious of the plush hay bed, while he tossed and turned on the hardwood floor tiredly.

. . . . . .

The snow showed no signs of stopping until three days had passed. In that time, they had eaten all of the bird beasts, and Nakai was forced to butcher the large beasts he and Zhang had hunted. Cutting into the large beasts was worrying because the snow was almost reaching Nakai's knees, and until it melted a little bit, they wouldn't be able to go hunting. During the three days, Luka had also become close with Wang Bao because he enjoyed spending time in the kitchen; Wang Bao had tried to grow closer to Mika as well, but most of the time Mika secluded himself in Alo's tent. His body had mostly healed but he had a hard time being around everyone, especially since they were much larger than him. Ever since the bedrooms had been cleaned, the Werebeasts preferred to not venture out into the house often. Because Wang Bao and Luka were busy in the kitchen making breakfast, while Nakai and Zhang busied themselves with butchering the beasts in the barn, meaning Alo was the only person in the living room with Mika.