Chapter 5: A Pure Princess (5)

Start from the beginning

“I… I don’t want to be a nuisance.”

“You’re not a nuisance…”

I stayed silent for a while, seemingly unconvinced by his words. But then shortly resigned and responded to him.

“Okay… But I’ll make an effort towards self improvement… So, let me borrow your sword.”

“What?”

He was dumbfounded by my request.

Perhaps you were wondering why I asked such a thing. Well, I require a weapon. I am not quite fond of swords since daggers were much better, but a sword was still a weapon.

I want to try such a weapon. Might consider using it.

“My sword? Wait, why?” he asked.

“I… I want to try holding one.”

“But you’re a lady, dear sister. There is no need to use one.”

“I only want to try holding one, not swing it. I’m curious to how it feels. Please?”

He looked at me, then to the sword as he contemplated. He seemed to make up his mind, and with the support of my insistence, he presented the hilt to me.

“Be careful, okay? Also, it’s heavy, so watch out for that.”

With a nod, I reached out for the hilt. It was a bit exciting to try it out. The sword was on the longer side, a long sword, perhaps it was called.

As I saw earlier, this was indeed a two handed sword, so I held it with both my hands. Of course not that I didn’t know that long swords were to be held with two hands.

The moment he let go, my muscles tensed up as my arms received the weight of the sword. I kept lifting the sword.

Damn.

It was heavy, not to my taste, and not the preferred weight that I would like to use as a weapon. I adjusted my posture so I could carry it more properly, I also adjusted my grip. It had become better. The sword in my hand was pointed forward, so I raised it up.

“Careful now.”

I heard my brother’s voice, I only nodded as I focused on the sword.

“Can I swing it?” I asked.

“But…”

“Just swing it forward, right? It’s not harmful.”

“...I guess.”

I tightened my grip, then I swung forward, slashing the empty air. However, with the amount of strength I have, the force of the swing with the motion of the sword carried me with it as the sword struck the ground.

Dammit.

This was not good at all. With muscle training I could do it better. That said, I don’t like swords, they're too long and slow. Daggers would be much better, lighter, and faster. Well this was all based on what I was used to.

I raised the sword again. This was a bit tiring already, since I disliked it, it would be pointless to force myself to go on. But I’ll think about using the sword in the future, it might become useful.

However, can I swing it again? Brother would allow it, right?

Without asking him for permission, I swung again with a better stance and better footing, I stopped the blade before it touched the ground. It was a struggle in the arms. This body was not built for this.

“You’re doing great, Estel!”

“Really? That’s great!” I chuckled. “But, this is enough for me...”