"Where are you off to so quickly?" she asks with a gleaming smile.

"Going to watch the game with a friend," I mutter, trying my best to continue the standoffish don't invite yourself vibe with my tone.

"Who? Jimmy?"

"No. He's pulling an extra shift tonight."

"Clay and Abby?"

"Guess again," I tell her with a laugh. I don't keep that many friends so she's bound to get it soon enough.

She sits up, her hands clapping together excitedly like she figured it out. "You're going somewhere with Trevor, aren't you?"

"You got it," I say as I pull a shirt over my head and run a lazy hand through my hair. My eyes cruise the room for where I left my phone, finding it on the dresser.

Madi springs to her feet. "Perfect. Tell him to bring Lacy. We'll make a double date out of it."

I pump an amused brow at her. "You don't date, Mads."

"Yeah, I know," she says with a shrug. "But I'm always down to go eat and have fun. Especially if you're going to that wing place on Maple." Did she just lick her lips?

"Nope. We're not going there."

That's exactly where we're going.

"Boo," Madi pouts as she pulls her jeans on. "I guess it'll be another boring night for me then." She crosses her arms in front of her chest, an amused glint in her eye. "I think you just don't want me to crash your bro-date."

Yep. "Exactly. Besides, aren't you sick of seeing Trevor? I thought you'd want to avoid seeing him outside of work since he's basically your boss and orders you around all day."

Madi's nose scrunches with a small laugh as she waves me off. "Nah, Trevor's one of the nicer doctors at the hospital. He doesn't treat us lowly nurses like slaves."

"That's good," I comment half heartedly as I check my phone, grinning like a fool at the image that just came through from my sister.

Sadie: Two little chicks at the park. Aren't they the cutest?

They sure are. I stare in awe at the photo of my one year old niece at the playground with her friend, who also happens to be the adorable offspring of my old friend, Tierney. She and Sadie haven't known each other long but people seem to find one another in Oakwood and I'm happy they've connected. Sadie needs all the mom friends she can find.

My heart thrums happily around in my chest at the sight of the two girls playing together but all at once, it sinks with that familiar touch of homesickness I've grown accustomed to. I miss my family. I miss my friends. Shit, I even sort of miss Tierney's chump husband, Callen, who hates me for reasons I will not go into today.

I shoot her a text back and leave Madi in her bedroom as I wander back into the main area of the apartment.

Tommy: I see my goddaughters are getting along nicely. Tell Tee I said hey.

As I'm looking around for my keys and wallet, my phone buzzes with another text.

Sadie: She says hi back. and that she won't tell Callen you just called his baby girl your goddaughter. Says we don't need another reason for him to hate your guts.

Hehe. No, please. Tell him what I said. It's more fun that way.

Sadie: Also, you should come home for Christmas. I know it's only August but I'd like to put in a very special early request to see you this year. The girls miss you.