The blood staining the blouse and his chest was dried. From the looks of it, the claw mark wound across his chest had progressed in healing during the long drive and had managed to close on its own.

Nevertheless, it was still red and inflamed, not to mention covered in dirt. If anything he could be at risk for an infection if we didn't get that cleaned up.

"It looks much better," I said, sitting back up and meeting his gaze. "However, we need to get it cleaned up a bit, I fear you could get an infection if we don't."

When Elias didn't respond, I continued. "I found us a place to stay for the night. I just have to buy some things here first before we go. It shouldn't take long. Will you be okay waiting here?" I asked, watching his face morph into one of frustration and worry.

"No. I can come," He declared, beginning to sit up, his face contorting from the pain. Immediately I put my hands on his chest and gently pushed him back down.

"You need to rest," I stated, though my tone made it more like an order. Elias frowned up at me.

I didn't like the idea of being apart from him either, but I was half starved and dehydrated. Not to mention, he needed medical supplies. And it's not like I could bring him into the store with me.

We didn't have a choice.

"Two minutes tops. I'll be quick," I said finally when he still refused to speak, simply watching me with his brow creased in frustration and worry.

Giving him a reassuring smile, I turned to open the car door when I felt a hand clasp itself around my arm, stopping me.

"Please be careful," I heard him whisper. He sounded so vulnerable it made my heart ache. Glancing back at Elias, his frustration was gone. Now his blue eyes cast helpless looks around him and back at me, pleading with me to stay. I bit my lip. He looked so uncertain, so afraid.

Carefully, I lifted his hand off my arm, bringing it to my lips.

"I'm not leaving, okay? I'll be right back. I promise," I said, planting a soft kiss to his knuckles before releasing him. Our gazes locked for a moment, caught in a silent war.

His eyes searched my face as he carefully brought his hand up to touch my cheek. I closed my eyes and leaned into his touch. He remained silent, for a moment before he finally relented.

"Okay," He answered, dropping his hand with a hint of uncertainty.

"Okay," I repeated, gesturing for him to get down and out of sight before finally leaving the car. I took note of my pump number as I strode to the dimly lit gas station store.

The doors chimed as I walked inside. From the looks of it, I was the only person in the store besides the gangly clerk who stood at the register. His red hair and sallow face was illuminated by the phone screen he hunched over, completely apathetic to my presence.

Walking down the aisles, I found bandages, four cheese and lettuce sandwiches, a container of chopped fruit, water, rubbing alcohol, scissors, two large shirts and two pairs of black sweat pants with the store logo.

With my hands full, I made my way to the register and piled my stuff on the counter.

"$40 on pump 2 please," I stated, pulling out my phone to pay digitally.

The gas station clerk set down his phone and looked down at my items. I watched as he glanced over what I selected, his eyes staying on the bandages and alcohol, before looking back up at me with one of his eyebrows raised in question.

I swallowed.

"Crazy night," I added casually, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible. Last thing I needed was the towns people looking our way.