Chapter 14

Adam

This search is futile. The sun is almost out and we won't be able to see anything soon. The coldness of the water is already creeling up my feet but-- I'm sure she got it worst. I looked at my hands that's still dipped into the water. The image is filled with ripples but I can tell that it was already wrinkly. I wonder how bad was hers?

This dumbass really did kept on searching the entire time and she even had the guts to point her rear at me.

"Hey asshole," she called, her voice doesn't have it's usual angst.

"What!"

"Do you really not remember me?"

Her question caught me off guard.

"This again? I already told you that I don't."

Her eyes glazed mine for a second; searching for something, but she dodges fast when she heard my answer.

"Oh, okay," she replied simply. "Forget I asked."

I looked away and overturned another rock.

I remember her but I don't want her to know that.

I've manipulated her but it's also her fault for relying too much. Both of us has to be blamed with something. No one has to be the villain here. I know that but-- why can't I stop beating myself for it?

Viane, I remember you but I can't tell you. I'll just watch over you atleast. That's the only thing I could do to silence my conscience.

--------

Viane

It's been 15 minutes since I came here. My hands are crossed and my back is slouched as I sat in my chair--seriously, seriously staring at him this whole time.

"Uhm..." He tilted his head "Want me to turn into Marriane?"

"What-- so you could kick me in the butt again?!"

The silence is finally broken.

"I didn't kick you in the buttocks Miss Viane, I slapped you," he said as a matter of factly.

I scoffed and my face turned into a deep frown.

"That doesn't make it any better!"

A pause.

"What brings you here, Miss Viane?"

His question made me sit up straight, my eyes falling into my lap.

"Uhm... I just wanna say that you're right, about... some things."

He nodded.

"Oh, I see."

"I just wanna know why you did that. Why you made me broke up with Marriane and the others."

"Miss Viane."

I looked up as he called.

"You're the harshest person I have ever met."

I raised an eyebrow at him.

"And it pains me to see you being subjugated to those girls' misconducts."

What a word.

"I want you to be harsh to the people who truly deserves it."

"And you think Marriane and the others deserves that?"

"Yes."

Look who's talking. I thought this guy is all about prim and proper. He acts like someone who would sip tea everytime their butt would land on a couch. I would've never imagined that he'd recommend me a dosage of violence.

I grinned at him.

"You know, you're not great with words. You remind me of someone I know. The only diferrence is that he uses insults and you uses--" I snapped my fingers trying to spark a thought "Privileged words only the bourgeois would use."

"It is an honor to hear that." He bowed slightly.

"Shut up! That's not a compliment!"
I yelled but he just laughed, his hand covering his mouth like a lady.

"So," he started again. "Do you want me to be that person?"

"What?!" I became frantic

Adam? No!

But...

My body relaxed and I slouched again.

If Mr. Wae turned into him I can ask him if he really did forgotten about me. He kept on saying that he didn't but there's something-- the slight slip ups, sometimes he would recognize things only the two of us encontered back in elementary-- he has these... reactions. I really couldn't tell but-- I still gotta respect him, aren't I?

"I'll pass." I smiled at Mr. Wae.

He nodded. "I understand."

If he remembers me, he probably doesn't want me to find out and if he didn't-- then that's probably for the best.

"Hey, Mr. Wae?"

"Yes?"

"Can you act as Marriane? I just wanna know all the things she knows through you."

"Sure."

A pause.

"You can ask now."

I blinked in confusion.

Nothing changed in him. He's still smiling and his gentle feature is still there.

"So no gesture and mannerism today?" I asked.

He hummed as he grimaced.

"Hmm... I'm not a fan of her."

I laughed.

"Is that sass coming from you?! And I'm impressed you know the word 'fan'." I wiped the small tears in my eyes.

He smiled even wider.

"Someone taught me that word." He said. "So..." He turned serious and I reciprocated. "What do you want to know? I may not be moving like her but I got all she knows in my head."

I smiled menacingly, my hand clasping together in a conspiracy.

"Perfect."