9 - Monocle Motors

————————————————————
MONOCLE MOTORS
————————————————————

LAVIANA DIDN'T RELAX UNTIL THE GLOW OF Quebec City faded behind them.

"You were amazing," Jason told Piper.

She said something in French.

"What'd you say?" Jason asked.

"I said I only talked to Boreas. It wasn't so amazing."

Laviana pursed her lips.  "Are you sure about that, Piper?"

"Yes," she snapped, with more insensitivity than Laviana thought necessary.

Laviana shrugged, though she still felt a little unsettled. She was keeping that piece of information for later on. "Whatever you say, beauty queen."

"Don't call me that."

"What? It's a compliment."

Leo passed them some sandwiches from his pack. He'd been quiet ever since they'd told him what happened in the throne room. "I still can't believe Khione," he said. "She looked so nice."

"Trust me, man," Jason said. "Snow may be pretty, but up close it's cold and nasty. We'll find you a better prom date."

Leo didn't look pleased. He hadn't said much about his time in the palace, or why the Boreads had singled him out for smelling like fire. It was obvious he had some secret he was hiding about fire, but Laviana had no idea what.

Whatever it was, his mood seemed to be affecting Festus, who grumbled and steamed as he tried to keep himself warm in the cold Canadian air. Happy the Dragon was not so happy.

They ate their sandwiches as they flew. Laviana had no idea how Leo had stocked up on supplies, but he'd even remembered to bring veggie rations for Piper.

Nobody talked. Whatever they might find in Chicago, they all knew Boreas had only let them go because he figured they were already on a suicide mission.

The moon rose and stars turned overhead. Laviana's eyes started to feel heavy. Now that she had a full stomach, her adrenaline was fading.

"Jason," she said. "I'm taking a nap. Mind if I use your back for a headrest?"

"Go ahead," he offered.

She laid her head on Jason's shoulder and drifted off to sleep.

————————————————————

Laviana had come to the conclusion that demigod dreams suck.

She was pretty sure that was obvious and she had probably said it many times, but she felt the need to point it out again.

She was sitting on a fluffy white cloud, which somehow supported her weight, looking down on New York City. The city didn't look well. For one, fires trailed up and out of buildings, as if people hadn't been able to turn their stove off. There were sounds of battle throughout and the horrid shapes monsters could be seen. The place was in chaos.

Then it happened.

A guttural scream cut through the city. Laviana could see the ground tremble. The seas churned and swirled without stop. Like a god was losing their temper.

Oh, my dear, a soft feminine voice purred. This was not the work of a god.

Laviana flinched, turning towards the source, but she couldn't pin it down. She could feel the cloud become heavier under her weight.