3 - Crash Landing

————————————————————
CRASH LANDING
————————————————————

AFTER A MORNING OF storm spirits, goat men, and being called dead, Laviana should have been losing her mind. Too bad her mind was already lost.

She stood in the back of the chariot with Leo, Jason, and Piper, while Butch held the rains, Annabeth worked with a bronze navagation device, and Ethan fiddled with the hilt of his sword, like he was nervous. They rose over the Grand Canyon and headed east, icy wind ripping straight through Laviana's hoodie. Behind them, more storm clouds were gathering.

The chariot lurched and bumped. It had no seatbelts and the back was wide open, so Laviana was going to come back and haunt them if she ended up falling out.

Jason was staring at the horizon and Piper was staring at him.

Though Leo was being annoying, which she figured she should get used to, "This is so cool!" He spit a Pegasus feather out of his mouth. "Where are we going?"

"A safe place," Annabeth said. "The only safe place for kids like us. Camp half-blood."

"Half-blood?" Piper sounded guarded. "Is that some kind of bad joke?"

"She means we're demigods," Jason spoke up. "Half god, half mortal."

Annabeth looked back. "You seem to know a lot Jason. But, yes, demigods. My mom is Athena, goddess of wisdom. Ethan's mother is Nemesis, goddess of revenge. Butch here is the son of Iris, the rainbow goddess."

Leo choked. "Your mom is a rainbow goddess?"

"Got a problem with that?" Butch said.

"No, no," Leo said. "Rainbows. Very macho."

"Butch is outer best equestrian," Annabeth said. "He gets along great with the Pegasi."

"Rainbows, ponies," Leo muttered.

"I'm gonna toss you off this chariot," Butch warned.

"You said you knew me," Laviana intervened. "Who's my parent."

Annabeth frowned. "We don't know, but you should get claimed soon. Especially since Percy's the one who made them promise. The only thing we know is that you have two moms and one of them was the god."

Before Laviana could even begin to figure that out Piper said. "Demigods. You mean you think you're..you think we're-"

Lightning flashed. The chariot shuddered, and Jason yelled, "Left wheel's one fire!"

Laviana stepped back. Sure enough, the wheel was burning, white flames lapping up the sides of the chariot.

The wind roared. Laviana glanced behind the, and saw dark shapes forming in the clouds, more storm spirits spiraling toward the chariot - except these looked more like horses than angels.

Piper started to say, "Why are they-"

"Anemoi come in different shapes," Annabeth said. "Sometimes human, sometimes stallions, depending on how chaotic they are. Hold on. This is going to get rough."

Butch flickered the reins. The Pegasi put on a burst of speed, and the chariot blurred. Laviana's stomach crawled into her throat. Her vision went black, and when it came back to normal, they were in a totally different place.

A cold gray ocean stretched out to the left. Snow-covered fields, roads, and the forests spread to the right. Directly below them was a green valley, like an island of springtime, rimmed with snowy hills on three sides and water to the north. Laviana saw a cluster of buildings like Ancient Greek temples, a big blue mansion, ball courts, a lake, and a climbing wall that seemed to be on fire. But before she could fully process it, their wheels came off and the chariot dropped out of the sky.