1 - Amnesia

————————————————————
AMNESIA
————————————————————

LAVIANA WASN'T SURE where to start with her horrible, horrible, and extremely confusing day.

She woke up on the second to back seat of a school bus, not sure where she was, leaning against a window. She slowly sat up and rubbed her eyes, trying to clear her mind.

A few dozen kids sprawled in the seats in front of her, listening to iPods, talking, or sleeping. They all looked around her age...fifteen? Sixteen? Okay, bad sign. She didn't even know her own age.

The bus rumbled along a bumpy road. Out the windows, desert rolled by under a bright blue sky. Laviana was pretty sure she didn't live in a desert. She tried to think back...to the last thing she remembered...a boy. A boy with raven black hair and sea green eyes. Percy, that was his name, Percy Jackson, but Laviana couldn't get anything else.

"Vin, finally, you're awake," the boy next to her said. "Jason here thinks he's an amnesiac."

Another one, Laviana thought. Did he know her? Did she know him?

They guy next to her looked like a Latino Santa elf with curly black hair, pointy ears, a cheerful, babyish face, and a mischievous smile that told you right away this guy should not be trusted around matches or sharp objects. His long nimble fingers wouldn't stop moving, drumming on the seat, sweeping his hair behind his ears, fiddling with the buttons of his army fatigue jacket. Either the kid was naturally hyper or he was hopped up on enough sugar and caffeine to give a heart attack to a water Buffalo.

Laviana turned around and saw a boy and a girl.

The girl was seriously pretty. She wore faded jeans, hiking boots, and a fleece snowboarding jacket. Her chocolate brown hair was cut choppy and uneven, with thin strands braided down the sides. She wore no makeup, like she was trying not to draw attention to herself, but it didn't work. Her eyes seemed to change color like a kaleidoscope - brown, blue, and green.

The boy, who she guessed was Jason, had short cropped blond hair, and lightning blue eyes. He wore a purple shirt, jeans, sneakers, and a black windbreaker. She didn't recognize him, but his blue eyes...she had seen them somewhere before, she just didn't know where.

"Anyway," The kid next to Laviana said, "I hope you've got your worksheet, 'cause I used mine for spit wads days ago. Why are you looking at me like that? Somebody draw on my face again? Vin!"

Jason said, "I don't know you."

"Me neither," Laviana agreed. "I have never seen you guys in my life."

The boy gave them a crocodile grin. "Seriously, Vin, you too. Sure, Jason, I'm not your best friend. I'm his evil clone."

"Leo Valdez!" Someone yelled from the front of the bus. The guy was obviously a coach. His baseball cap was pulled low over his hair, so you could just see his beady eyes. He had a wispy goatee and a sour face, like he'd eaten something moldy. His buff arms and chest pushed against a bright orange polo shirt. His nylon workout pants and Nikes were spotless white. A whistle hung from his neck, and a megaphone was clipped to his belt. He would've looked pretty scary if he hadn't been five feet zero. His eyes scanned over the four of them, if it was possible, he scowled even more when he saw Jason, but he paled completely when he saw Laviana. He was staring at her as if she was a ghost. Then he shook his head, as if dismissing something before he said, "Problem back there?"

The Leo guy winked at Jason, "Watch this." He turned to the front. "Sorry, coach! I was having trouble hearing you. Could you use your megaphone, please?"