Twenty-Eight: I Bet You Don't Even Know Who I Am

Start from the beginning

Alyxia found herself subconsciously holding her breath as she gazed upon the mystery person, and then quickly let it go. "And how do you know this?" She queried, trying to sound casual as she leaned against the holographic board she had been cursing just a few seconds ago.

The person shrugged and directed their attention towards her. Alyxia squirmed under the intense gaze of their pine green eyes. "While Regis is the place where all the decisions are made," They finally answered, "Modea-Kol's where the real stuff happens. So this branch wouldn't have any need for stuffy old documents."

"Stuffy old documents?" Alyxia sniffed indignantly as she shut the board down and faced them. "I happen to think that those 'stuffy old documents' are really important."

"Never said they weren't," They replied smoothly. "We can learn a lot from history, princess."

Alyxia inwardly flinched, although outwardly she pursed her lips. As with the Alpha, the word seemed to be weaponised by their lips, an insult rather than a title of honour. "How do you know who I am?"

"Word travels quickly around here, and not just for purposes of efficient communication. At least that's what my father said when he used to ally with Ignis." They explained. "Ignis is willing to pull out all the stops if it means overthrowing Ash, even if it means discarding their founding principle. I don't know what to make of that."

"Well I think it's a move for the better," Alyxia countered, wondering what their story was. "Putting aside differences to achieve a common goal, no matter the cost. Don't you want Ash to go?"

"Whether it's Ash, you, or Ignis, my people will still suffer," The stranger bit, crossing their arms over their chest. "I have no reason to ally with any of you." They smirked at Alyxia, something flashing in their pine green eyes. "I bet you don't even know who I am."

Alyxia placed her hands on her hips in an attempt to show strength. "Who are you to doubt me?" She shot at them. 

"I," They fired back, "am Rowan Everglade, leader of the Everglade clan and governor of the autonomous region of Kadé. Have you even heard of Kadé in your fancy palace up in Regis?"

"Of course I know what Kadé is!" Alyxia seethed, having half a mind to start a physical altercation with them. "How lowly do you think of me?"

Rowan was just about to fire a scathing response when an interruption came in the form of a scrawny young man with mousy brown hair, a scruffy beard and thick black glasses. As he burst into the File Room, he seemed deep in conversation with some person that Alyxia could not see. 

"-Yes, I know that the Alpha wants the Akhlys ready, but it's still in the developmental stages and is too risky to be used in active combat!" He paused for a second, as if listening to someone speak on the other end. "For now we'll have to adjust with the weapons at our disposal, or maybe I could try devising some new device on short notice- heh, devising a device." He suddenly frowned and tapped his ear. "Hello? Hellooooooo?"

Alyxia exchanged a bewildered look with Rowan, who shrugged in response. It seemed that even Rowan, whoever they were, did not know who this strange character was. In an attempt to dispel the awkwardness, Alyxia cleared her throat. "It seems that the communications might have been disrupted," She offered, giving the man a half-smile.

"Hmm, that must be it," The man agreed, then his eyebrows shot up as if he had noticed Alyxia's existence for the first time. "Wait a tick, aren't you the princess? Oh my stars, I never thought I'd meet you in person!" He squealed, clapping his hands like a seal would have if they hadn't been extinct for 15 years.

"That's me," Alyxia acknowledged, strangely uncomfortable with the man's excitement. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Rowan analysing both of them, but they said nothing. "I wouldn't have thought that members of Ignis would be very excited about meeting me."