20- "I'm honest"

"Nobody ever believes that their life can be simply normal. We all think it will have to be fantastic and the day we decide to become someone, we are filled with expectations about the path we will have to take, about the people we will meet, the difference we will be able to make. Great expectations about who we will become and where we will go and then ... reality arrives "

We often have the habit in the morning of not wanting to hear even the birds singing, simply because there are days when the daily frenzy demands tranquility and calm. He knew it well, Sophia, but ... that day couldn't be that day. The incessant vibration of the phone on the bedside table gave her the 'good morning' forcing her to stretch out an arm in such a way as to note down whoever would have slapped her for waking her up. The face still thick with sleep inside the pillow allowed to offer a muffled effect to his voice as soon as he pressed the answer button.

《Yes?!》《SOPHIA, BUT WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?》《Rebecca, don't scream. What's the matter?》  A yawn concluded the simple question.《The problem is that it's 12 o'clock dear colleague, you missed an entire practice session and I can't cover you for much longer, but where are you?》

The number '12' was enough to trigger the light of reason by observing the clock and realizing that Rebecca was right. Without even thanking her, he closed the phone in her face and rushed into the shower. The alarm clock had decided to go on vacation, there was no other explanation. Christian will kill me, he thought. Christian Horner was a likeable, tolerable and competent but rightfully pretentious man. Despite what one might think outside the paddock, Sophia and Christian didn't have much opportunity to discuss or talk normally except about work. But the girl knew she could count on her support for anything. He had welcomed her into the big RedBull family with all good intentions trusting that girl passionate about engines and communication. And then yes, he would kill her. She hurriedly put on her stable uniform and after brushing her teeth and grabbing the computer she ran to the paddock.

He didn't find much movement considering the time. After a good day of testing and before qualifying, all the teams were looking forward to a nice lunch break. And Sophia still had breakfast instead. Butterflies got in her stomach when she arrived in her box but she took courage and went inside. He greeted everyone he met on his way and felt almost guilty for being beautiful perky unlike them. He arrived at his station just as machine number "3" entered at the end of the session. Hell, she completely forgot about Daniel. Christian probably represented the lesser evil at that time. She curled up in a corner ready for his outburst. The civil and work relationship was fine, but at that moment he wasn't respecting that either and he really felt he was wrong.

Daniel got out of the car and took off his helmet satisfied thanking some guys. The tests went well and there were good prospects for placement. The Australian immediately turned his head towards Sophia's direction, as if to feel her gaze on him. He didn't mention anything, neither a smile nor a greeting, and then the girl decided to intervene.

《Hi, good morning, sorry for the delay, and that the alarm did not go off and therefore I don't know what happened, Rebecca woke me up a little while ago and I ran. I'm sorry for the interviews this morning and for your commitments, know that it was not wanted, it has absolutely nothing to do with what happened, believe me ...》《Are you finished?》 Only the pilot answered. He realized he had been talking nonstop nonstop but he certainly did not expect such an answer.《Sorry?!》《You did me a favor, actually, this morning I didn't feel like doing anything, I'm just thinking about qualifying》

《Wow, well, what a relief》 she almost felt stupid for thinking she was wrong. Sure, a delay was still a mistake, but all that inner turmoil almost made her feel bad.《But...》《Ah here. You never deny yourself, huh?》《No. Since you are still wrong, how nice finally, I was waiting for this moment, you will have to be forgiven. So go out with me tonight》《WHAT? You are crazy》

《No, I'm honest, it's you who didn't get up this morning by not pointing at me and not making me perform my duties. I recommend a more powerful alarm for next time. At 9 in the hotel lobby. I'm going to eat, it was a pleasure Sophia》 Daniel winked at her and walked away. The girl certainly couldn't say that it was a pleasure for her too, on the contrary. 

He left her stunned there on the spot after that somewhat absurd conversation. Still, she couldn't tell if she was angrier at her arrogance or relieved that they didn't argue. He only knew that he would have half a day to psychologically prepare to go out with Daniel Ricciardo outside the paddock.

"We are all convinced that we will become the best and then we feel a little ripped off when our expectations are disappointed, but sometimes, reality even exceeds expectations. We will have to believe our expectations, because it makes us stand still, waiting. That. what we expect is only the beginning. What we do not expect, however, is what can change our life forever "